What is the course Classical Mechanics ?

In summary: There is so much to learn and so many different ways to learn it. :)In summary, Classical Mechanics is a course that usually covers more advanced material than what is covered in Intro to Physics I. It is important because it provides the foundation for more in-depth study in later years. Graduate schools often offer a class in Classical Mechanics.
Fizex
What is the course "Classical Mechanics"?

What is this course? Just a little harder version of calculus intro. to physics I? It's on the schedule as a sophmore course, and I have heard of a graduate course with the title too. What do you learn in it? I don't want to be retaught the very basics again like Newton's laws.

Physics news on Phys.org

You need to look at the syllabus to tell what material will be covered.

At my university it was a course on Lagrange and Hamilton formalism for classical mechanics and on classical chaos.

We can have 100 people explain what this course was like where they took it, but only one matters: Fizex's university.

It will be in that direction anyway. Maybe it'll go deeper, but that's the general idea, not?

eXorikos said:
It will be in that direction anyway. Maybe it'll go deeper, but that's the general idea, not?
It will be about forces, torque and objects moving in potential fields, so yes. But it will be done properly with vectors and such and maybe even going into analytical mechanics.

Properly with vectors? My physics professors always told us to get rid of vectors as fast as you can, because they make things harder most of the times.

eXorikos said:
Properly with vectors? My physics professors always told us to get rid of vectors as fast as you can, because they make things harder most of the times.
Care to explain further? You mean to mostly skip them while jumping straight into analytical?

Ofcourse you need to learn to work with them first, but that stops for us at General Physics I.

Like others said, we don't have the syllabus so I can't give you a definite answer.

However most physics programs have a course beyond intro physics called "Classical Mechanics." On average, that course usually covers:

Newtonian Mechanics- harder problems and more advanced analysis than was done in intro.

Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Formulations of Mechanics- Not something you covered in intro physics I bet. Very Important.

Rotational Motion- More advanced treatments of Torque, Moments of Inertia, etc. probably utilizing tensors.

Mechanics in Non Inertial Frames

Coupled OscillatorsThe short answer is, if your course catalog tells you you need to take it after intro to mechanics, then it most likely contains new material. Believe it or not, there is more to mechanics than what you get in your first year course. :)

G01 said:
Believe it or not, there is more to mechanics than what you get in your first year course. :)
Believe it or not, even that sophomore/junior level classical mechanics course is just a start. Many graduate physics programs offer a class in classical mechanics; the canonical text being Goldstein.

Fizex said:
It's on the schedule as a sophmore course, and I have heard of a graduate course with the title too. What do you learn in it? I don't want to be retaught the very basics again like Newton's laws.

The physics curriculum:
Your first two years, you are taught all of "core" physics.
Your last two years, you are retaught all of "core" physics.
Your first year in graduate school, you are retaught all of "core" physics.

The catch (i.e. what makes it interesting) is that each subsequent time, you approach the subject from a more mathematically/logically mature angle. You go more in-depth and the idea is that, by graduate school, you'll have acquired the abilities that is necessary to make the discoveries that advance physics.

To give you an example, what do you study in first-year physics? Classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics - right? Well, when you get to your junior and senior years, there's at least one whole class for each of those subjects.

D H said:
Believe it or not, even that sophomore/junior level classical mechanics course is just a start. Many graduate physics programs offer a class in classical mechanics; the canonical text being Goldstein.

cmos said:
The physics curriculum:
Your first two years, you are taught all of "core" physics.
Your last two years, you are retaught all of "core" physics.
Your first year in graduate school, you are retaught all of "core" physics.

The catch (i.e. what makes it interesting) is that each subsequent time, you approach the subject from a more mathematically/logically mature angle. You go more in-depth and the idea is that, by graduate school, you'll have acquired the abilities that is necessary to make the discoveries that advance physics.

To give you an example, what do you study in first-year physics? Classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics - right? Well, when you get to your junior and senior years, there's at least one whole class for each of those subjects.

I'm in my second course in graduate E&M and still no where close to understanding all of E&M! There is just so much knowledge out there, that I doubt it's even possible for someone to learn "all" of anyone area of physics, let alone physics as a whole.

That's one of the great things about it though. There is always more to learn!

G01 said:
That's one of the great things about it though. There is always more to learn!

Quoted for truth.

Related to What is the course Classical Mechanics ?

What is the course Classical Mechanics?

The course Classical Mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of motion and the forces that act upon objects. It is one of the oldest and most fundamental areas of physics.

What are the main topics covered in Classical Mechanics?

The main topics covered in Classical Mechanics include kinematics, which is the study of motion without considering the underlying causes, and dynamics, which is the study of the causes of motion, including forces and their effect on objects.

Why is Classical Mechanics important?

Classical Mechanics is important because it provides a foundation for understanding the laws of nature and how objects move in the world around us. It also allows us to make accurate predictions about the behavior of objects and systems.

What are some real-world applications of Classical Mechanics?

Classical Mechanics has numerous real-world applications, including understanding the motion of planets in our solar system, predicting the motion of projectiles, and designing structures that can withstand external forces, such as buildings and bridges.

Is Classical Mechanics still relevant in modern physics?

Yes, Classical Mechanics is still relevant in modern physics. While it has been expanded and refined with the development of quantum mechanics and relativity, the principles and laws of Classical Mechanics are still used to describe and explain many phenomena in the physical world.