What is the Coulomb potential energy of splitting uranium nuclei?

In summary, the two equal fragments of a uranium nucleus (X=92) have a radius of approximately 8x10^-15m each. When in contact, the Coulomb potential energy can be calculated using the Coulomb law by considering the binding energy of each fragment. The separation will be twice the radius, and the charge on each fragment should be 46e. This results in a Coulomb potential energy of 3.05 × 10^−11 J.
v_pino

Homework Statement

A uranium nucleus (X=92) splits into two equal fragments, and each has a radius of approximately 8x10^-15m. What is the Coulomb potential energy of such fragments when in contact?

Homework Equations

I tried using the coulomb law but that doesn't work. Could it be to do with binding energy?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the separation r will be twice the radius. But I don't know the charge on each atom. I tried saying that the charge on each is 46e, but I don't think that's right. I can't even get the right order of magnitude with Coulomb law.

The answer should be 3.05 × 10^−11 J.

Physics news on Phys.org

v_pino said:

Homework Equations

I tried using the coulomb law but that doesn't work. Could it be to do with binding energy?
They most likely want you to calculate as if they were two charged balls in contact. Ie you need to include the binding energy of each of the balls, yes.

v_pino said:

Homework Statement

A uranium nucleus (X=92) splits into two equal fragments, and each has a radius of approximately 8x10^-15m. What is the Coulomb potential energy of such fragments when in contact?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the separation r will be twice the radius. But I don't know the charge on each atom. I tried saying that the charge on each is 46e, but I don't think that's right. I can't even get the right order of magnitude with Coulomb law.

The answer should be 3.05 × 10^−11 J.

I think everything you said you did is right. If I work it out I get 3.05 × 10^−11 J. What you didn't do right must be in what you didn't tell us. Can you show us the details?

Thanks for the reply. I've upload a pdf file of my working since I don't know how to type in latex.

Attachments

• Document3.pdf
    207.9 KB · Views: 162

v_pino said:
Thanks for the reply. I've upload a pdf file of my working since I don't know how to type in latex.
Ah, it is as simple as that you forgot that both sides need to have a charge of 46e, right now you are calculating as if one is 46e and the other is just a single e.

Got it! Thanks!

Related to What is the Coulomb potential energy of splitting uranium nuclei?

What is nuclear fission?

Nuclear fission is a process in which the nucleus of an atom splits into smaller fragments, releasing a large amount of energy in the form of heat and radiation.

What is the role of neutrons in nuclear fission?

Neutrons play a crucial role in nuclear fission by initiating and sustaining the reaction. When a neutron collides with a nucleus, it can cause the nucleus to become unstable and split, releasing more neutrons and initiating a chain reaction.

What is the difference between nuclear fission and fusion?

Nuclear fission involves the splitting of a heavy nucleus into smaller nuclei, while nuclear fusion involves the combining of two or more lighter nuclei to form a heavier nucleus. Fission releases energy by breaking apart atoms, while fusion releases energy by combining atoms.

What are the potential uses of nuclear fission?

Nuclear fission has various uses, including producing electricity in nuclear power plants, powering submarines and other naval vessels, and in the production of nuclear weapons. It also has potential uses in space exploration and medical treatments.

What safety precautions are taken in nuclear power plants to prevent accidents?

Nuclear power plants have various safety measures in place to prevent accidents, such as using control rods to regulate the reaction, multiple layers of containment structures, and emergency shutdown systems. Regular inspections and maintenance are also conducted to ensure the safety of the plant.