What is the Cost Function and How to Minimize it Using Excel Solver?

In summary, the conversation is about a metal company trying to make a new alloy through a combination of five other alloys. The goal is to minimize the cost function and the person is seeking help on how to use Excel's solver tool to achieve this. They have tried using solver but have not been successful and are looking for a tutorial on how to use it.
tom.young84
Introduction to Operations Research, Hiller, 3.4-12 I believe

1 2 3 4 5 New Alloy
tin 60 25 45 20 50 =40
zinc 10 15 45 50 45 =35
lead 30 60 10 30 10 =25
total 1 1 1 1 1 =1

Cost 22 20 25 24 27

Goal: minimize cost function 22x1+20x2+25x3+24x4+27x5

Basically there is this metal company trying to make a new alloy through a linear combination of the other five alloys. At the bottom is the "cost function" which I am suppose to minimize. I actually understand how to do it, but not in Excel, which is what I am suppose to use. I'm completely unfamiliar with how to use solver.

Physics news on Phys.org
tom.young84 said:
Introduction to Operations Research, Hiller, 3.4-12 I believe

1 2 3 4 5 New Alloy
tin 60 25 45 20 50 =40
zinc 10 15 45 50 45 =35
lead 30 60 10 30 10 =25
total 1 1 1 1 1 =1

Cost 22 20 25 24 27

Goal: minimize cost function 22x1+20x2+25x3+24x4+27x5

Basically there is this metal company trying to make a new alloy through a linear combination of the other five alloys. At the bottom is the "cost function" which I am suppose to minimize. I actually understand how to do it, but not in Excel, which is what I am suppose to use. I'm completely unfamiliar with how to use solver.

Excel's help on the Solver is generally pretty good. Have you read through it?

I've tried using solver...I get something that isn't the answer. Is there a good tutorial?

Related to What is the Cost Function and How to Minimize it Using Excel Solver?

1. What is Operations Research?

Operations Research is a scientific approach to solving complex problems and making decisions using mathematical and analytical techniques. It involves the use of models, algorithms, and data analysis to optimize systems and processes.

2. How is Excel used in Operations Research?

Excel is a powerful tool for organizing and analyzing data, which is a crucial component of Operations Research. It can be used for data manipulation, statistical analysis, and building models to solve optimization problems. Excel also has built-in solvers and add-ins that can assist with Operations Research tasks.

3. What are the benefits of using Operations Research and Excel?

The combination of Operations Research and Excel allows for efficient and effective decision-making. It can help identify the most optimal solutions to complex problems, improve processes and systems, and save time and resources. Additionally, the visualizations and reports generated in Excel can aid in communicating results to stakeholders.

4. What are some real-world applications of Operations Research and Excel?

Operations Research and Excel have a wide range of applications in various industries, including supply chain management, transportation, healthcare, finance, and manufacturing. It can be used for inventory management, production planning, scheduling, resource allocation, and more.

5. Do I need to have advanced Excel skills to use it for Operations Research?

While having advanced Excel skills can be helpful, it is not necessary to use it for Operations Research. Basic knowledge of Excel functions and formulas, as well as an understanding of how to build and manipulate models, is sufficient. There are also plenty of online resources and tutorials available to improve Excel skills for Operations Research purposes.