What Is the Correct Temperature for O2 Gas to Achieve an RMS Speed of 699 m/s?

• Thread starter NasuSama
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem with finding the temperature at which O2 gas molecules have an rms speed of v = 699 m/s. The conversation includes the use of the equation v_{rms} = √(3RT/M) and the attempt to solve for T using the given values for M, v_{rms}, and R. The initial answer of 627 K is deemed incorrect and it is suggested to use the equation v_rms = √(5RT/M) instead. However, it is clarified that the correct equation for finding v_rms is √(3RT/M) regardless of whether the particles are atomic or diatomic.
NasuSama
V_RMS problem... Need help with it!

Homework Statement

Find T, the temperature at which O2 gas molecules have an rms speed of v = 699 m/s.

Homework Equations

It's the rms form I have used.

[itex]v_{rms} = √(3RT/M)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Let

M = 32 g/mol ≈ 32 * 10^(-3) kg/mol
v_rms = 699 m/s
R = 8.314 J/(mol * K)

Attempted to solve for T. Here is what I have:

[itex]v_{rms}^{2} = 3RT/M[/itex]
[itex]T = v_{rms}^{2}M/(3R) [/itex]

Plug and chug in the values, and I got 627 K, which is not correct.

Physics news on Phys.org

Your work looks good to me. Are you sure the answer is incorrect?

I seem to recall that the available energy modes for a diatomic gas are different than for a monatomic gas. 5/2 vs 3/2 as I recall. Some googling may be in order. Try "kinetic energy diatomic" or something along those lines.

TSny said:
##v_{rms} = \sqrt{3RT/M}## is valid for both monatomic and diatomic gases even though diatomic gases have additional degrees of freedom of motion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root-mean-square_speed

Well, so much for my memory then. Carry on, nothing to see here... :smile:

Check your calculation. What do you get? I have the answer 627 K, but the system marks it incorrect.

I also get 627 K. I assume the answer into be in Kelvins.

TSny said:
I also get 627 K. I assume the answer into be in Kelvins.

Increasingly strange.

My professor told me to use this form which is right. v_rms = √(5RT/M).

I entered in the value of T for the HW assignment, and I got the right answer. How strange... :\

NasuSama said:
Increasingly strange.

My professor told me to use this form which is right. v_rms = √(5RT/M).

I entered in the value of T for the HW assignment, and I got the right answer. How strange... :\

Yes, strange. Don't think he/she is correct. The 5 should be a 3. Just web-search "rms speed gas" for many examples.

Actually, he said that because the velocity is diatomic, but as you said; no matter if the particles are atomic or not, v_rms = √(3RT/M). I believe he is thinking of the kinetic energy of the diatomic particles.

Related to What Is the Correct Temperature for O2 Gas to Achieve an RMS Speed of 699 m/s?

1. What is the V_RMS problem and why is it important?

The V_RMS problem refers to the challenge of accurately calculating the root mean square (RMS) voltage of an alternating current (AC) signal. This value is important because it represents the effective voltage of the AC signal, which is necessary for proper circuit analysis and design.

2. What causes the V_RMS problem?

The V_RMS problem is caused by the fact that AC signals are constantly changing in magnitude and direction, making it difficult to calculate the average voltage. This is in contrast to direct current (DC) signals, which have a constant voltage value.

3. How can the V_RMS problem be solved?

There are several methods for solving the V_RMS problem, such as using calculus to find the area under the voltage-time curve, using digital signal processing algorithms, or using specialized equipment such as an RMS converter. It is important to choose the appropriate method based on the specific application and level of accuracy required.

4. What are the implications of not accurately calculating V_RMS?

If V_RMS is not calculated accurately, it can lead to errors in circuit analysis and design. This can result in inefficient use of power, inaccurate measurements, and potential damage to electronic components. Therefore, it is crucial to address the V_RMS problem in order to ensure the proper functioning of AC circuits.

5. Are there any common mistakes when dealing with the V_RMS problem?

Yes, some common mistakes when dealing with the V_RMS problem include assuming that the RMS value is the same as the peak or average voltage, using incorrect formulas or methods for calculation, and not taking into account the frequency or waveform of the AC signal. It is important to carefully follow the correct procedures and double check calculations to avoid these mistakes.