What is the Correct Tangent Angle for Calculating Force on a Cylinder?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the force on a cylinder in a slot using the angle of the tangent and r. The solution for the angle was given to be 30°, but the formula used did not work. The OP's solution was 40.9° but it was not correct for the exercise. The conversation then delves into discussing the factor of ##\dot{\theta}## in the denominator and the use of the chain rule for derivatives. Ultimately, it is determined that the second term does not need to be included and the correct solution is found.
Bauxiet

Homework Statement

SURbVVS.png

Calculate the force on the cilinder. You need the angle of the tangent and r.

Homework Equations

Down under here. The solution for the angle is 30°. But why does the formula I used did not work out?
My solution is 40,9°, why isn't this correct for this excercise?

The Attempt at a Solution

52DlRUH.png

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not understand the problem statement. It does not look like English to me.

Dr. Courtney said:
I do not understand the problem statement. It does not look like English to me.
It is the native language of your 8th president :wink:
To the OP: It is polite (and, I believe, according to the rules here) to translate your question entirely.

Likes fresh_42
Bauxiet said:

Homework Statement

The solution for the angle is 30°. But why does the formula I used did not work out?
My solution is 40,9°, why isn't this correct for this excercise?
Why do you have a factor of ##\dot{\theta}## in the denominator?
upload_2016-8-15_15-36-10.png

Krylov said:
It is the native language of your 8th president :wink:
To the OP: It is polite (and, I believe, according to the rules here) to translate your question entirely.

Sorry guys, I didn't want to be inpolite. This is the translation:

The cylinder C can only move in the slot. The movement is described by r = 0,6*cos(theta) m. The lever OA turns left (counter clockwise) with an angular speed of 2 rad/s and has a angular acceleration of 0,8 rad/s^2 at the moment when theta = 30°. What is the force on the cylinder C at that moment. The cylinder touches only one side of the slot (without friction). The movement is horizontal.

I was solving this question. And I needed the angle between the lever and the tangentline of the cylinder. The formula is on my paper. I needed this to find the angles for my forces. But the fomula seems not to be correct. What did or do I wrong? Thanks guys! And sorry again, i did not want to be inpolite!

Likes S.G. Janssens
TSny said:
View attachment 104737

Just derivate of the term above. Chain rule for derivates...?

Note that tanΨ is dimensionless. Is the right hand side of your expression for tanΨ dimensionless?

TSny said:
View attachment 104737

Just derivate of the term above. Chain rule for derivates...?

EDIT: Okay, this is my fault. The second term doesn't need to be there.

l5BMvP2.png

I was confused because of the image above. I think that the derivate of above is dr/dt and that's why Theta has to be also be derived. (chain rule?). In this excercise it must be the derivate to theta and dsin(theta) /d(theta) = cos(theta). Because we have to derive to theta, when we apply the chainrule to theta, it is just a 1?

I think I got it, thank you guys very much!

Bauxiet said:
And sorry again, i did not want to be inpolite!
Geen zorgen (= don't worry), you fixed it just fine, nobody got hurt :wink:

Related to What is the Correct Tangent Angle for Calculating Force on a Cylinder?

What is the tangent angle?

The tangent angle is the angle between a line tangent to a curve at a specific point and the x-axis.

How do you calculate the tangent angle?

The tangent angle can be calculated using the formula tanθ = y/x, where θ is the tangent angle, y is the change in the y-value, and x is the change in the x-value at a specific point on the curve.

What is the relationship between the tangent angle and the slope of a curve?

The tangent angle and the slope of a curve are directly related. The slope of a curve at a specific point is equal to the tangent of the angle formed by the tangent line and the x-axis at that point.

Can the tangent angle be negative?

Yes, the tangent angle can be negative. The angle is considered negative when the tangent line is below the x-axis, and positive when it is above the x-axis.

How do you find the tangent angle of a vertical line?

The tangent angle of a vertical line is undefined, as the slope of a vertical line is infinite. Therefore, the tangent angle cannot be calculated for a vertical line.