What is the correct starting point for calculating projectile range in a lab?

• Thread starter exparrot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Range
In summary, the individual is seeking clarification on a projectile lab in their physics class. They are unsure of how to calculate the initial velocity and whether to consider the distance traveled before the projectile goes over the table. They are asking for input from others familiar with the lab and suggest potentially comparing the full equation with a simplified version for extra credit.
exparrot
I don't know if this could be considered a HW question, so please, moderators, excuse me if I'm posting in the wrong place.

Anyways, in my physics class we did a projectile lab. We had a projectile launcher that stood a few inches above the table (from a mount) and we shot the projectile horizontally. I'm now asked to calculate the initial velocity with which the ball left the launcher, but I'm a bit confused what to consider as my range. If I remember my professor correctly, the distance traveled by the ball from the launcher over the table and before going over is negligible. The range would be considered from where the table ends to where the projectle landed. That is if I understood correctly. I would appreciate anyone who's familiar with the projectile lab correct me if I'm wrong or reaffirm what I'm thinking. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
exparrot said:
I don't know if this could be considered a HW question, so please, moderators, excuse me if I'm posting in the wrong place.

Anyways, in my physics class we did a projectile lab. We had a projectile launcher that stood a few inches above the table (from a mount) and we shot the projectile horizontally. I'm now asked to calculate the initial velocity with which the ball left the launcher, but I'm a bit confused what to consider as my range. If I remember my professor correctly, the distance traveled by the ball from the launcher over the table and before going over is negligible. The range would be considered from where the table ends to where the projectle landed. That is if I understood correctly. I would appreciate anyone who's familiar with the projectile lab correct me if I'm wrong or reaffirm what I'm thinking. Thanks!

I'm not familiar with the lab, but I'm familiar with projectile motion. Start the calculations from where the ball left the launcher. That's where it starts dropping from.

You might even get extra credit if you compare the full equation's results with the "simplified" equation where you neglect the extra distance. How many percent difference does it make in the accuracy of the results?

The correct starting point for calculating projectile range in a lab would be the initial horizontal distance from the launcher to where the projectile lands. This distance should be measured from the point where the projectile leaves the launcher, not from the edge of the table. This is because the initial velocity of the projectile is affected by the height of the launcher and the angle at which it is launched, and these factors must be taken into account when calculating the range. Additionally, any horizontal distance traveled by the projectile while still on the launcher should be subtracted from the total range to get an accurate measurement. It is important to carefully consider all the variables and measurements involved in the experiment to ensure an accurate calculation of the projectile range.

Related to What is the correct starting point for calculating projectile range in a lab?

1. Where should I start my range?

The best place to start your range will depend on a variety of factors, including your research goals, available resources, and the type of data you are collecting. It is important to carefully consider these factors before deciding on a starting point.

2. How do I determine the range of my study?

Determining the range of your study involves identifying the boundaries or limits of your research area. This can be done by considering the geographic area, time frame, and other relevant factors that will influence your study.

3. Should I start my range at the minimum or maximum value?

The decision to start your range at the minimum or maximum value will depend on the specific requirements of your study. It is important to carefully consider the objectives of your research and select the most appropriate starting point for your range.

4. What are the consequences of starting my range in the wrong place?

If your range is not carefully selected, it can lead to biased or incorrect results. This can have serious consequences for the validity of your research and can impact the overall conclusions and implications of your study.

5. How can I ensure that my chosen range is appropriate for my study?

To ensure that your chosen range is appropriate for your study, it is important to carefully consider all relevant factors, conduct thorough research, and consult with other experts in the field. Additionally, conducting pilot studies or tests can help determine if the chosen range is suitable for your research goals.