What Is the Correct Sequence of Cylinder Operations in a Pneumatic Circuit?

• Thread starter mario94
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, the correct sequence in which the cylinders operate on the operation of the start valve is B, D, C, A. This can be determined by looking at the series connection of the cylinders and the direction of the arrows on the cylinders in the given figure.
mario94

Homework Statement

http://www.chegg.com/homework-help/questions-and-answers/figure2-shows-pneumatic-circuit-four-actuators-controlled-state-sequence-cylinders-operate-q13517089

this question is what I am undertaking

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

a, state the sequence in which the cylinders operate on the operation of the start valve

answers: i initially went with the obvious on the operation of the start valve cylinder A is actuated then B, C and finally D

but on further reflection i think its

Cylinder B that goes first then D then C then A last if this isn't right can you point me in the right direction to find the answer thankyou

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your post. I would like to help you determine the correct sequence in which the cylinders operate on the operation of the start valve. Based on the information provided in the figure, it seems that the cylinders are connected in series with the start valve. This means that the air flow will first go through cylinder B, then D, then C, and finally A. Therefore, the correct sequence would be: B, D, C, A.

To confirm this, we can also look at the direction of the arrows on the cylinders. In the figure, the arrows point towards the end of the cylinder that is being extended. This means that when the start valve is activated, the air will first flow through cylinder B, causing it to extend. Once B is fully extended, the air will then flow through cylinder D, causing it to extend. This sequence will continue until all cylinders have been extended.

I hope this helps clarify the correct sequence for you. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your homework!

Related to What Is the Correct Sequence of Cylinder Operations in a Pneumatic Circuit?

What is pneumatics?

Pneumatics is the branch of science and technology that deals with the mechanical properties of gases, especially air, and the application of these properties in practical devices.

What are the advantages of using pneumatics?

Pneumatics offer several advantages, such as being cost-effective, easy to operate and maintain, and capable of producing high forces and speeds. They also have a high power-to-weight ratio and can operate in hazardous environments.

What are some common applications of pneumatics?

Pneumatics have a wide range of applications, including air compressors, pneumatic tools, air brakes, and pneumatic systems used in manufacturing and automation. They are also utilized in medical equipment, such as ventilators and anesthesia machines.

How does pneumatics differ from hydraulics?

Pneumatics and hydraulics both use fluids to transmit power, but pneumatics use compressed air while hydraulics use pressurized liquids. Pneumatic systems are generally faster and more efficient in linear or rotary motion, while hydraulic systems are better suited for applications requiring high force.

What are some safety precautions to consider when working with pneumatics?

When working with pneumatics, it is important to ensure that all components are properly installed and maintained. It is also essential to follow safety guidelines and procedures, such as using proper personal protective equipment and following lockout/tagout protocols. Regular maintenance and inspections are crucial to prevent potential hazards and ensure the safe operation of pneumatic systems.