What is the Correct Method for Finding Height Using Geometry?

In summary, the answer to question 43 is that the water depth in a hemiaphhem hemisphere bowl is 10.614 cm.
Coderhk
<< Mentor Note -- 2 threads merged >>

1. Homework Statement

I need help with question 43 it is attached as an attachment

Homework Equations

#a^2+b^2=c^2#
Sin(a)/A=sin(b)/B

The Attempt at a Solution

Well if I draw a line from the left corner of the bown down to the water it forms a right triangle which I can use to find the diameter of the water and from that I divide by 2 but that doesn't seem to be any of the choices

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180607-125319.png
    Screenshot_20180607-125319.png
    40.6 KB · Views: 351
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please post a better picture. In the one you attached I can see the bowl, but the text is too small to read. A screen shot of just the problem and not the rest of the page would be better.

Homework Statement

I need help with question 43 it is attached as an attachment

Homework Equations

#a^2+b^2=c^2#
Sin(a)/A=sin(b)/B

The Attempt at a Solution

Well if I draw a line from the left corner of the bown down to the water it forms a right triangle which I can use to find the diameter of the water and from that I divide by 2 but that doesn't seem to be any of the choices

Edit: I'll type the problem out.

Water in a hemisphere bowl of With a diameter of 30 cm Begins to pour out when the bowl is tilted to an angle theta of 17 degrees. How deep is the water in the bowl? Round to nearest tenth of cm.

Mark44 said:
Please post a better picture. In the one you attached I can see the bowl, but the text is too small to read. A screen shot of just the problem and not the rest of the page would be better.
I'll type it out here...water in a hemiaphhem bowl with a diameter of 30 cm begins to pour out when the bowl is tilted to an angle theta of 17 degrees. How deep is the water in bowl?

I
Coderhk said:
I'll type it out here...water in a hemiaphhem bowl with a diameter of 30 cm begins to pour out when the bowl is tilted to an angle theta of 17 degrees. How deep is the water in bowl?
I meant hemisphere

Create a right triangle whose left side is on the line from the lowest point on the bowl up to the midpoint of the tilted rim of the bowl. The base of this triangle is horizontal, running from the point on the bowl where the water is running out. Calculate the height of this triangle. From this height you can get the depth of the water. The value I get is one of the options, although I can just barely read them.

I drew the bowl untilted and tilted about the center of the diameter. The line from the center of the top down to the left 17 degrees to the surface of the water forms a triangle with those two points and a point vertically below the center where the top of the water is. Call that vertical distance x and the depth of the water d. Can you say what x + d is equal to? And can you see how to solve for x? :smile:

BTW, you can use the UPLOAD button in the lower right of the edit window to upload a PDF or JPEG image of the problem.

I
berkeman said:
I drew the bowl untilted and tilted about the center of the diameter. The line from the center of the top down 17 degrees to the surface of the water forms a triangle with those two points and a point vertically below the center where the top of the water is. Call that vertical distance x and the depth of the water d. Can you say what x + d is equal to? And can you see how to solve for x? :smile:
Get it now thank you. I wasn't sure if I could make the assumption that the deepest part of the bowl is directly below the midpoint. But I see now. So the answer is 10.6

Coderhk said:
So the answer is 10.6
Is that the correct answer? I get a different answer, but without seeing the figure, it's hard to know I did the drawing correctly.

@Coderhk, please don't post the same question twice...
My answer, rounded, is 10.6 as well.

Likes Coderhk
The possible choices are 4.4, 5.7, 10.4, 10.6,25.6

I attached the diagram

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180607-134543.png
    Screenshot_20180607-134543.png
    46.7 KB · Views: 337
Mark44 said:
My answer, rounded, is 10.6 as well.
I see what I did wrong now. I had a factor of 2 error. Now I get 10.614 too. Thanks Mark.

Likes Coderhk

Related to What is the Correct Method for Finding Height Using Geometry?

What is the formula for finding height using geometry?

The formula for finding height using geometry is h = (a x b) / c, where h is the height, a and b are the base lengths, and c is the hypotenuse of a right triangle.

What tools are needed to find height using geometry?

To find height using geometry, you will need a ruler or tape measure, a protractor, and a calculator.

Can height be found using geometry for any shape?

No, height can only be found using geometry for shapes that can be broken down into triangles, such as rectangles, squares, and triangles.

What are some real-world applications of finding height using geometry?

Finding height using geometry is useful in fields such as architecture, engineering, and construction to determine the height of buildings, structures, and objects.

Is there a specific unit of measurement used for height in geometry?

The unit of measurement used for height in geometry depends on the units used for the base lengths. For example, if the base lengths are measured in inches, the height will also be in inches.