What is the correct method for composing Taylor series at a non-zero point?

In summary, the person is trying to find a more efficient way to work with Taylor series, specifically for compositions of functions. They have successfully figured out how to do products and quotients but are having trouble with compositions, particularly at points other than 0. They provide examples and discuss their confusion and suspicion that they are missing something obvious.
mxbob468
in general I'm trying to figure out a way to work with taylor series more efficiently. this means i want to be able to write down the taylor series of a complicated function just by knowing the taylor series(es?) of the component functions. I've figured out how to do products and quotients pretty well but I'm having trouble with compositions, specifically at points other than 0. without further ado:

i'd like to find the taylor series at 1 of [itex]x^{1/(1-x)}[/itex]

according to my understanding what i'll need (all series expanded at 1):

[tex]Log(x)=(x-1)-\frac{1}{2}(x-1)^2+\frac{1}{3}(x-1)^3+O((x-1)^4)[/tex]
[tex]Exp(x)=e(1+(x-1)+\frac{1}{2}(x-1)^2+\frac{1}{6}(x-1)^3 +O((x-1)^4)[/tex]

hence

[tex]x^{1/(1-x)}=Exp(\frac{Log(x)}{1-x})[/tex]

[tex]=Exp(\frac{(x-1)-\frac{1}{2}(x-1)^2+\frac{1}{3}(x-1)^3+O((x-1)^4)}{1-x})[/tex]

[tex]=Exp(-1(1-\frac{1}{2}(x-1)+\frac{1}{3}(x-1)^2+O((x-1)^3)))[/tex]

[tex]=Exp(-1+\frac{1}{2}(x-1)-\frac{1}{3}(x-1)^2+O((x-1)^3)))[/tex]

[tex]=e^{-1}Exp(\frac{1}{2}(x-1)-\frac{1}{3}(x-1)^2+O((x-1)^3)))[/tex]

then i make the replacement [itex]x \rightarrow (\frac{1}{2}(x-1)-\frac{1}{3}(x-1)^2+O((x-1)^3))[/itex] in the expansion for Exp(x) at 1 and i get the wrong answer. the part i don't understand is that if i make the replacement [itex](x-1)\rightarrow (\frac{1}{2}(x-1)-\frac{1}{3}(x-1)^2+O((x-1)^3))[/itex] I'm an [itex] e^{-1}[/itex] off from the right answer.

also if i try do this same exact thing, composing taylor series for [itex](x+1)^{-1/x}[/itex] but taylor expanding at zero (which should also give me the taylor series for [itex]x^{1/(1-x)}[/itex] at 1 right?) i do get the right answer.

so what gives? my feeling is I'm missing something very blatantly obvious.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mathematica saves the day:

Two series can only meaningfully be composed when the point about which the first series is expanded corresponds to the limiting value of the second series at its expansion point.

Related to What is the correct method for composing Taylor series at a non-zero point?

1. What is the purpose of a Taylor series?

A Taylor series is an infinite series that represents a function as a sum of its infinitely many derivatives at a single point. Its purpose is to approximate a function and allow for easier analysis and calculation of its values.

2. How is a Taylor series calculated?

A Taylor series is calculated by taking the derivative of a function at a specific point and plugging in that point as the x-value. Then, the second derivative is taken and multiplied by (x-a)^2, the third derivative is multiplied by (x-a)^3, and so on. This process is repeated to create an infinite series.

3. What is the difference between Taylor series and Maclaurin series?

A Taylor series is a series expansion of a function around a specific point, while a Maclaurin series is a series expansion around the point x=0. In other words, a Maclaurin series is a special case of the Taylor series where the point of expansion is the origin.

4. What is the relationship between Taylor series and calculus?

Taylor series are closely related to calculus as they are used to approximate functions and make their analysis and calculation easier. Taylor series also involve taking derivatives, which is a fundamental concept in calculus.

5. Can a Taylor series represent any function?

No, a Taylor series can only represent functions that are infinitely differentiable. This means that the function must have derivatives of all orders at the point of expansion. If a function is not infinitely differentiable, its Taylor series will not converge to the function's value.