What is the Correct General Expression for an Exponential Function?

In summary, the correct general expressions for an Exponential Function are: y = abc(x+d)+e or y = abcx+d+e. Both are acceptable, but the first one may be more helpful for understanding horizontal shifts.
Peter G.
Hi,

I am working on a modeling exercise and I would like to know which is the correct general expression for a Exponential Function:

y = abc(x+d)+e

or

y = abcx+d+e

Thanks in advance,
Peter G.

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter G. said:
Hi,

I am working on a modeling exercise and I would like to know which is the correct general expression for a Exponential Function:

y = abc(x+d)+e

or

y = abcx+d+e

Thanks in advance,
Peter G.

Either would be fine, IMO, although the first makes horizontal shifts more obvious.

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your response! I also prefer the first one because it reminds me of how the Sine Function is set up, making, as you said, the horizontal shift more obvious for me.

Related to What is the Correct General Expression for an Exponential Function?

1. What is a general exponential function?

A general exponential function is a mathematical function of the form f(x) = ax^n, where a is the base and n is the exponent. It is a type of exponential function that represents a constant ratio between successive values.

2. What are the characteristics of a general exponential function?

Some key characteristics of a general exponential function include:

• It has a constant base, which determines the rate of change.
  • It has a variable exponent, which determines the shape of the curve.
  • It has a horizontal asymptote at y = 0.
  • It is always increasing or decreasing, depending on the value of the exponent.
  • It is commonly used to model growth or decay processes.

3. How do you graph a general exponential function?

To graph a general exponential function, you can plot a few points using different values of x and then connect them with a smooth curve. Alternatively, you can use a graphing calculator or software to plot the function. Remember to label the axes and include a key or legend if necessary.

4. What is the difference between a general exponential function and a logarithmic function?

A general exponential function and a logarithmic function are inverse functions of each other. In other words, they "undo" each other's calculations. For example, if f(x) = ax^n is an exponential function, then its inverse function is g(x) = logax. The main difference between the two is that an exponential function represents a constant rate of change, while a logarithmic function represents a constant ratio of change.

5. What are some real-life applications of general exponential functions?

General exponential functions can be used to model a wide range of natural phenomena, such as population growth, radioactive decay, compound interest, and bacterial growth. They are also commonly used in economics, finance, and biology to analyze and predict various processes and trends. Additionally, general exponential functions are essential for understanding and solving differential equations, which have numerous applications in physics and engineering.