What is the correct expression for tension in a chain falling through a hole?

In summary: So, our answer is different from the answer sheet.In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving tension in a hanging chain and the correct expression for tension. After some calculations and discussions, it is concluded that the answer sheet is incorrect and the correct expression for tension is ρgx/3.
paras02

Homework Statement

Pls help me with the (d) option of the question asked in the link
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=724332&page=1

Correct expression for tension is ρgx/6 (as given in the answer sheet)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Velocity as a function of x is ##\sqrt{\frac{2gx}{3}}## (acc. to the solution of previous post)
[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] a = [itex]dv/dt[/itex] = [itex]g/3[/itex]
applying Newton's law
ρg[itex]x/2[/itex] - T = ρ[itex]g/3[/itex]*[itex]x/2[/itex]
[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] T = ρg[itex]x/3[/itex]

Pls help me to find the correct answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
paras02 said:

Homework Statement

Pls help me with the (d) option of the question asked in the link
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=724332&page=1

Correct expression for tension is ρgx/6 (as given in the answer sheet)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Velocity as a function of x is ##\sqrt{\frac{2gx}{3}}## (acc. to the solution of previous post)
[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] a = [itex]dv/dt[/itex] = [itex]g/3[/itex]
applying Newton's law
ρg[itex]x/2[/itex] - T = ρ[itex]g/3[/itex]*[itex]x/2[/itex]
[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] T = ρg[itex]x/3[/itex]

Pls help me to find the correct answer.

For tension in any point only the part of the chain UNDER the point contributes, while the whole chain is falling.

Likes 1 person
I am a bit confused here !
bcoz when i am considering the lower half of the chain as a system and applying Newton's law on this part i must have to use the mass of the lower half only rather than considering the mass of whole part that is hanging.
but this method is leading to wrong answer while using the mass of whole part leads to the right one.
Pls further explain the system that you are taking and its free body diagram.

paras02 said:
I am a bit confused here !
bcoz when i am considering the lower half of the chain as a system and applying Newton's law on this part i must have to use the mass of the lower half only rather than considering the mass of whole part that is hanging.
but this method is leading to wrong answer while using the mass of whole part leads to the right one.
Pls further explain the system that you are taking and its free body diagram.

Actually, I apologize for my first post. You can't write Newton's law. Tension is an internal force and has nothing to do with Newtons law.

By definition ##F(t)=ma(t)##, but you already found out that ##a## is constant and equal to ##g/3##, therefore mass of the chain has to be a function of time, which it is. So ##T(t)=m(t)a=\rho x(t)a##

That's how I would do it. I'm not sure if that's correct hopefully some others, smarter physicists will comment this too.

You can't apply Newton's 2nd directly to the mass of the bottom half of the chain since this "object's" mass is constantly changing. Instead, apply the second to each link of length dy individually and integrate to find the tension at height y = x/2.

dauto said:
You can't apply Newton's 2nd directly to the mass of the bottom half of the chain since this "object's" mass is constantly changing.
I don't see the flaw.
Consider the piece of chain which is the lower half at some instant. Its downward acceleration is g/3, and its mass is ρx/2, so the net force on it must be ρgx/6, and that must equal ρgx/2-T. Hence T = ρgx/3.
I didn't notice at the time, but the referenced thread never discussed whether (D) was correct.
If you look at my post #22 there you will see I showed that the tension at the top of the chain (just below the hole) must be ρv2 = 2ρgx/3. Since the tension elsewhere must be proportional to distance from the bottom, the tension at the halfway point is ρgx/3.
So I conclude the answer sheet is wrong here. All four statements are correct.

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
I don't see the flaw.
Consider the piece of chain which is the lower half at some instant. Its downward acceleration is g/3, and its mass is ρx/2, so the net force on it must be ρgx/6, and that must equal ρgx/2-T. Hence T = ρgx/3.
I didn't notice at the time, but the referenced thread never discussed whether (D) was correct.
If you look at my post #22 there you will see I showed that the tension at the top of the chain (just below the hole) must be ρv2 = 2ρgx/3. Since the tension elsewhere must be proportional to distance from the bottom, the tension at the halfway point is ρgx/3.
So I conclude the answer sheet is wrong here. All four statements are correct.

You're right. I calculated by my method and also got T=ρgx/3.

Likes 1 person

Related to What is the correct expression for tension in a chain falling through a hole?

What is the concept of "chain falling through a hole"?

The concept of "chain falling through a hole" refers to a phenomenon in which a chain or rope that is initially held taut above a hole or opening, eventually falls through the hole due to the effects of gravity.

What causes a chain to fall through a hole?

The chain falls through the hole due to the force of gravity pulling it downwards. As the chain is initially held taut above the hole, it is in a state of tension. However, as the chain starts to fall, the tension decreases and the force of gravity becomes stronger, causing the chain to accelerate towards the hole.

Why does the chain accelerate as it falls through the hole?

The chain accelerates because of the force of gravity acting on it. According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force acting on it. As the chain falls, the force of gravity, which is constantly pulling it downwards, becomes stronger and thus the acceleration of the chain increases.

Is the speed of the chain constant as it falls through the hole?

No, the speed of the chain is not constant as it falls through the hole. Due to the acceleration caused by gravity, the speed of the chain increases as it falls. However, as it reaches the bottom of the hole, the speed will become constant as the chain reaches its terminal velocity.

How does the size and weight of the chain affect the falling process?

The size and weight of the chain do not significantly affect the falling process. The force of gravity acts on all objects equally regardless of their size or weight. However, a heavier chain may have a slightly higher terminal velocity compared to a lighter chain due to its increased mass, but this difference would be negligible.