What is the correct circuit symbol for a thermistor?

In summary, there are different variations of the circuit symbol for thermistors, with some using a symbol similar to resistors with an arrow through it and others using a symbol similar to metal-oxide varistors. It seems that the orientation of the line in the symbol does not necessarily affect its correctness. Additionally, some manufacturers, like Vishay, have their own unique symbols for thermistors. Some individuals also use a circle around the symbol to indicate the resistance at a specific temperature. It should be noted that the symbol with an arrow through a resistor is also used for variable resistors or rheostats.
xunxine
I came across a few variations of the circuit symbol for thermistor. I've attached one below.
I'm more used to the version with horizontal line at bottom left and rise to the top right. Is there any fixed or correct version? Or are all equally correct? i.e. the orientation of the line doesn't matter?

Attachments

• thermist2.jpg
    thermist2.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 539
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
xunxine said:
I came across a few variations of the circuit symbol for thermistor. I've attached one below.
I'm more used to the version with horizontal line at bottom left and rise to the top left. Is there any fixed or correct version? Or are all equally correct? i.e. the orientation of the line doesn't matter?

I use that symbol for MOVs (metal-oxide varistors for surge clamping). I prefer more of a resistor symbol with an arrow through it for a thermistor.

Vishay seems to use that symbol for their thermistors, though.

Seems like we always drew a circle around it and made a note of the resistance @ temp.

Corrected above: I'm more used to the version with horizontal line at bottom left and rise to the top right.

For the diagram of resistor with an arrow through it, i learned it as a variable resistor or rheostat.
I didn't know there's a symbol for MOVs.

Related to What is the correct circuit symbol for a thermistor?

1. What is a thermistor?

A thermistor is a type of electrical component that is made of a material whose resistance changes with temperature. It is used to measure and control temperature in various electronic devices.

2. What is the circuit symbol for a thermistor?

The circuit symbol for a thermistor is a resistor with a diagonal arrow pointing towards it. The arrow represents the change in resistance with temperature.

3. How does a thermistor work?

A thermistor works by using the temperature-dependent resistance of its material to regulate the flow of electrical current. When the temperature changes, the resistance of the thermistor also changes, which affects the current flow in the circuit.

4. What are the different types of thermistors?

There are two main types of thermistors: negative temperature coefficient (NTC) and positive temperature coefficient (PTC) thermistors. NTC thermistors have a decrease in resistance with an increase in temperature, while PTC thermistors have an increase in resistance with an increase in temperature.

5. What are the applications of thermistors?

Thermistors are commonly used in temperature sensors, thermostats, and temperature control systems. They are also used in electronic devices such as computers, smartphones, and medical equipment to monitor and regulate temperature. Additionally, thermistors are used in automotive applications, such as in engine management systems and climate control systems.