What is the correct answer to this simple maths problem?

• Thread starter nokia8650
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic
As for the final run, it is at 22:45 and it is the 12 runs from 21:14 to 22:45 that I was counting. I don't know how else to explain it. But if you are correct about the meaning of "then every 10 minutes" then you are also correct that my count of 71 is wrong. That should be 72. So the total is 2+ 72+ 2+ 12+ 1= 89 runs.
nokia8650
http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/2057/timezy9.jpg

See image above. The answer is D - 88, however I can only find 84! Please can someone let me know what I am missing:

20-7= 13
13*6 + 1 = 79 = total upto 2030
+ 2045 bus = 80

+ 4 buses (two in 21st hr, two in 22nd hr) = 84

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Looks straight forward to me. First there are the two morning runs. Then it runs "every 10 minutes" from 8:30 to 20:30 (8:30 A.M. to 8:30 P.M.). That's 12 hours and 6 times an hour for 12 hours is 72 times- actually 71 since we are counting exactly at 8:30 separately. Then 2 more runs until 21:14 (9:14 P.M.). Then 12 runs between 21:14 and 22:45 culminating in the final run. A total of 2+ 71+ 2+ 12+ 1= 88 runs.

Thanks for the reply. Isn't it every 10 minutes from 7:30 to 20:30, not from 8:30 to 20:30, which gives 79 runs up until the 20:30 run. Also, how are there "12 runs between 21:14 and 22:45 culminating in the final run?"

Thanks

I was interpreting "then every 10 mins" as meaning from the END of the first two runs. You are interpreting it as 10 min after the start of the second run. I can't say which interpretation is correct.

Related to What is the correct answer to this simple maths problem?

What is a "simple maths logic problem"?

A simple maths logic problem is a mathematical puzzle or question that requires logical thinking to solve. It usually involves basic mathematical concepts such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and sometimes fractions or decimals.

What skills are needed to solve a simple maths logic problem?

To solve a simple maths logic problem, you need to have a good understanding of basic mathematical concepts, critical thinking skills, and the ability to approach problems logically. It also helps to have a systematic approach and to be able to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts.

Can anyone solve a simple maths logic problem?

Yes, anyone can solve a simple maths logic problem as long as they have the necessary skills and knowledge. It may take some practice and patience, but with determination, anyone can become proficient in solving these types of problems.

How do I approach a simple maths logic problem?

The best way to approach a simple maths logic problem is to read the question carefully and identify the key information and what is being asked. Then, try to break down the problem into smaller parts and use logic and mathematical concepts to solve each part. Finally, check your answer to ensure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

Are there any tips or strategies for solving simple maths logic problems?

Yes, there are some useful tips and strategies for solving simple maths logic problems. These include identifying and understanding the question, breaking down the problem into smaller parts, using logic and mathematical concepts, and checking your answer. It also helps to practice regularly and to approach problems with a positive and determined mindset.