What is the correct angle between two vectors?

In summary: The correct angle should be 0.61548 radians, which is what you got with your Matlab code. So you are correct in that the minus sign in the solution manual should not be there. In summary, the solution manual's answer for part (d) of the problem is incorrect and the correct angle is 0.61548 radians.
Jamison Lahman

Homework Statement

From Analytical Mechanics by Grant R. Fowles & George L. Cassiday.
6rSwBZ0.png

Only problem I am having is with part d.

Homework Equations

##A\cdot B = A_xB_x+A_yB_y+A_zB_z##
##sin(\theta) = \frac{|A\times B|}{AB}##

The Attempt at a Solution

y2IqTYi.png

I did it by hand but also ran the following Matlab script:
Matlab:
A = [1,1,1];
B = [1,1,0];
theta = acos(dot(A,B)/norm(A)/norm(B))
theta = asin(norm(cross(A,B))/norm(A)/norm(B))
Both formulas return 0.61548. I think the minus sign in part d should not be there, but I might be missing something. A second pair of eyes would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where do you get the 1-1 in the numerator from?

(1*1)+(1*1)+(1*0)=1+1.

You can also use the result of (c) to get the angle.
(c) doesn't look like a final answer by the way.

mfb said:
Where do you get the 1-1 in the numerator from?

(1*1)+(1*1)+(1*0)=1+1.

You can also use the result of (c) to get the angle.
(c) doesn't look like a final answer by the way.
The image is the solution from the manual. I used the Matlab code and got and angle of .6 in radians. It appears the solution manual was incorrect.

Yes, the solution shown in the second image is wrong.

Likes Jamison Lahman

Related to What is the correct angle between two vectors?

1. What are angles between vectors?

Angles between vectors are the measurement of the amount of rotation required to align one vector to another. They are commonly used in geometry and physics to understand the relationship between two vectors.

2. How do you calculate angles between vectors?

The most common method to calculate angles between vectors is by using the dot product or cosine formula. This involves taking the dot product of the two vectors and dividing it by the product of their magnitudes. The inverse cosine of this result will give you the angle between the vectors.

3. What is the range of angles between vectors?

The range of angles between vectors is from 0 to 180 degrees. This is because vectors can either be parallel, making the angle between them 0 degrees, or anti-parallel, making the angle between them 180 degrees. Any other angle between these values is considered obtuse or acute.

4. How are angles between vectors used in real-life applications?

Angles between vectors are used in a variety of real-life applications, such as navigation, engineering, and computer graphics. For example, in navigation, angles between vectors are used to determine the direction and distance from one location to another. In engineering, they are used to understand the forces acting on a structure. In computer graphics, they are used to create 3D models and animations.

5. Can angles between vectors be negative?

No, angles between vectors cannot be negative. They are always measured as positive values from 0 to 180 degrees. However, the direction of the rotation can be either clockwise or counterclockwise, which can result in a positive or negative sign when using the dot product or cosine formula.