What is the coordinate free stress-energy-momentum tensor

In summary, the stress-energy-momentum tensor is a linear map from a 4-vector to a 4-vector that gives the energy/momentum contained in a unit volume. It can be interpreted as the density of energy-momentum seen by an observer.
brombo
Without regard to a coordinate system (I only wish to consider special relativity) the stress-energy-momentum tensor defines a linear transformation from a 4-vector to a 4-vector. Let T be the linear transformation then b = T(a), a and b are 4-vectors. What is the physical meaning of a and b or for a and b arbitrary vectors what is the physical meaning of a⋅T(b).

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on your choice of four-vector, I'd say. Take for example the energy-momentum tensor of a dust and contract it with the four-velocity. What do you get?

Likes vanhees71
I am not sure what you mean but if you look for example at the Einstein-Hilbert Wikipedia page you can get a definition for the stress-energy tensor in terms of the variation of the lagrangian matter density w.r.t your metric.

For a Lagrangian, ##\mathcal{L}##, in which the ##\phi_{i}## are vector fields the stress-energy-momentum tensor is give by the following coordinate free geometric algebra expression -
$$T(n) = \dot{\nabla}\left < \dot{\phi}_{i}\partial_{\nabla\phi_{i}}\mathcal{L}n\right >-n\mathcal{L}$$
where ##\nabla## is the 4-vector gradient, ##n## a 4-vector, ##\left < A \right >## the scalar part of the multivector ##A##, and the overdot indicating that the partial derivatives of ##\nabla## only operate on ##\phi_{i}##. The question is what is the physical meaning of ##T(n)##?

brombo said:
Without regard to a coordinate system (I only wish to consider special relativity) the stress-energy-momentum tensor defines a linear transformation from a 4-vector to a 4-vector. Let T be the linear transformation then b = T(a), a and b are 4-vectors. What is the physical meaning of a and b or for a and b arbitrary vectors what is the physical meaning of a⋅T(b).

If you have MTW's "Gravitation", look at page 131.

If you let u be the 4-velocity of some observer, then T(u), where T is the stress-energy tensor regarded as a linear map in the manner you suggest, can be regarded as the density of energy-momentum seen by that observer - i.e the amount of energy/momentum contained in a unit volume.

MTW suggests other useful physical interpretations for the stress energy tensor. The other definitions don't use the notion of the tensor as a linear map from a vector to a vector, ##T^a{}_b## as you ask, but rather regard it as a linear map from two vectors to a scalar ##T_{ab}##. It's a bit of a digression to give them all (as well as being more work), so I won't give these interpretations here, unless you are curious and ask.

brombo said:
For a Lagrangian, ##\mathcal{L}##, in which the ##\phi_{i}## are vector fields the stress-energy-momentum tensor is give by the following coordinate free geometric algebra expression -
$$T(n) = \dot{\nabla}\left < \dot{\phi}_{i}\partial_{\nabla\phi_{i}}\mathcal{L}n\right >-n\mathcal{L}$$
where ##\nabla## is the 4-vector gradient, ##n## a 4-vector, ##\left < A \right >## the scalar part of the multivector ##A##, and the overdot indicating that the partial derivatives of ##\nabla## only operate on ##\phi_{i}##. The question is what is the physical meaning of ##T(n)##?
Wow, talking about disgusting notation :D

Instead of giving fancy-pancy coordinate free definition, let's start with the stresstensor of a dust. It is given by

[tex]
T_{ab} = \rho u_a u_b
[/tex]

where rho is the energy density and u is the 4-velocity of the dust-particles. If you contract this with the four velocities twice, you get

[tex]
T_{ab} u^a u^b = \rho
[/tex]

That's a start of an interpretation, right?

Likes vanhees71
Thank you pervect. Your answer referencing MTW was exactly what I was looking for.

Related to What is the coordinate free stress-energy-momentum tensor

1. What is the coordinate-free stress-energy-momentum tensor?

The coordinate-free stress-energy-momentum tensor is a mathematical object used in physics to describe the distribution of stress, energy, and momentum in a system. It is a tensor, which means it is a multi-dimensional array of numbers, that describes the physical quantities at every point in space.

2. How is the coordinate-free stress-energy-momentum tensor different from the coordinate-based tensor?

The coordinate-free stress-energy-momentum tensor is different from the coordinate-based tensor because it is independent of any specific coordinate system. This means that it can be used in any coordinate system without needing to change its form or values. In contrast, the coordinate-based tensor changes with different coordinate systems.

3. What is the significance of using a coordinate-free stress-energy-momentum tensor?

The use of a coordinate-free stress-energy-momentum tensor allows for a more general and elegant description of physical systems. It removes the dependence on a specific coordinate system, making it easier to apply to different situations and simplifying complex equations. It also leads to more efficient calculations and a deeper understanding of the underlying physical principles.

4. How is the coordinate-free stress-energy-momentum tensor derived?

The coordinate-free stress-energy-momentum tensor is derived from the principles of general relativity and the conservation laws of energy and momentum. It is based on the idea that physical laws should be independent of the coordinate system used to describe them, and therefore, the tensor must be coordinate-free.

5. In which fields of physics is the coordinate-free stress-energy-momentum tensor commonly used?

The coordinate-free stress-energy-momentum tensor is commonly used in fields such as general relativity, fluid dynamics, and quantum field theory. It is a fundamental tool in these areas of physics and plays a crucial role in the understanding and prediction of physical phenomena.