What is the conservation of energy problem involving h and v?

In summary, the equation for gravitational potential energy when an object is in contact with a gravitational field is 1/2mv2.
Karhitect

Homework Statement

i attached the problem since its easier.

Homework Equations

im not sure. i know the equation for h has to be included. but I am not sure what other equations must be used.

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly don't know how to begin. Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• question.doc
    22 KB · Views: 246
Physics news on Phys.org
i didnt think i had to use the potential spring energy equation because i need to find the velocity for when it comes back down...im really bad at this lol sorry

Karhitect said:

Homework Statement

i attached the problem since its easier.

Homework Equations

im not sure. i know the equation for h has to be included. but I am not sure what other equations must be used.

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly don't know how to begin. Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated!

The terminology in the problem statement is confusing. When the problem refers to "strength", what it is really referring to is stiffness or spring constant. The term strength is usually reserved for when something breaks. You also apparently need to assume that the force the bow string exerts on the arrow is directly proportional to the draw displacement, such that when the draw displacement is zero, the force is zero, and when the displacement is d, the force is kd. So..., during the time that the arrow is in contact with the bow, what is the average force exerted on it by the bow? How much work is done on the arrow by the bow during the contact period? What does this translate into in terms of gravitational potential energy when the arrow reaches its maximum height. What is the upward velocity of the arrow when it reaches its maximum height?

would the equation be 1/2mv2=mgh

then replace h with the equation for h and isolate v??

im just not understanding this problem.

Last edited:

Related to What is the conservation of energy problem involving h and v?

What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another.

What are some examples of the conservation of energy in everyday life?

Some examples of the conservation of energy in everyday life include turning off lights to save electricity, using renewable energy sources such as solar or wind power, and using energy-efficient appliances.

How does the conservation of energy apply to the environment?

The conservation of energy is crucial for the environment because it helps to reduce the use of non-renewable resources and decrease the emission of greenhouse gases, leading to a more sustainable and healthier planet.

What are the consequences of not following the law of conservation of energy?

If the law of conservation of energy is not followed, it can lead to a depletion of natural resources, an increase in pollution and greenhouse gas emissions, and ultimately, a negative impact on the environment and the planet.

What is the role of conservation of energy in scientific research?

Conservation of energy is an essential concept in scientific research, as it helps scientists to understand and predict the behavior of systems and phenomena. It also plays a vital role in developing sustainable technologies and finding solutions to environmental issues.