What is the Conservation of Energy in Spring Work at an Angle?

In summary: If you assume conservation of energy, you get that the total energy stored in the springs is the same as the original energy.If you assume conservation of energy, what do you get?In summary, @hayke101 is trying to figure out how to use the spring energy formula, but is not sure how to do it. He thinks that he needs to use x as the distance between A and B, but is not sure if that is correct. He also thinks that the springs are contracting by s - l(0), where s is the length of the spring at position B.
hayke101
Homework Statement
I'm trying to solve this question: A body is released from position (b), what will his speed at position (a)

https://imgur.com/a/Ms7widx

I know i need to use the spring energy formula but not sure how to do it at an angle. Will i have to multiply it by the angle of the spring. Or calculate the difference in length between the two positions?

Relevant Equations
Work equation

Physics news on Phys.org
hayke101 said:
I know i need to use the spring energy formula but not sure how to do it at an angle. Will i have to multiply it by the angle of the spring. Or calculate the difference in length between the two positions
Hi @hayke101 and welcome to PF.

The rules here require you to show your attempt/thinking first. What are your thoughts?

Steve4Physics said:
Hi @hayke101 and welcome to PF.

The rules here require you to show your attempt/thinking first. What are your thoughts?
I had quite a few attemps my current one is:
The energy at A is equal to the energy at B

At B with have no kenetic energy, and 2 spring energies
at A with have kenetic energy (and no spring energy?)
So 2*0.5kx^2 = 0.5mv^2

But I'm not sure if it is correct use x as the distance between A and B.

Also the spring is at an angle so maybe I need to add the angle someway (cos Ø?)

hayke101 said:
But I'm not sure if it is correct use x as the distance between A and B.
I'm sure that definitely must be wrong! Neither spring is contracting by ##x##.

PeroK said:
I'm sure that definitely must be wrong! Neither spring is contracting by ##x##.
So they are contracting by ##s - l(0)##
Where s is the length of the spring at position B?

hayke101 said:
So they are contracting by ##s - l(0)##
Where s is the length of the spring at position B?
That's definitely true. Can you simply use conservation of energy? Or, does the opposition of the two forces lose energy?

What about analysing the forces? Is that another way to solve the problem?

Likes hayke101
Can I add to what @PeroK has said. You are using the same symbol 'x' for two different things.

In your expression “0.5kx^2”, the 'x' means the spring’s extension (its increase in length from its unstretched length). But in your diagram, 'x' means the horizontal distance the mass moves.

Use a different symbol for the spring's extension (e.g. ‘e’). Edit1: Or use 'd'!
Edit2: no don't use 'd', as the question already uses 'd' for the initial extension.

Last edited:
Likes hayke101
PeroK said:
That's definitely true. Can you simply use conservation of energy? Or, does the opposition of the two forces lose energy?

What about analysing the forces? Is that another way to solve the problem?

I think that the opposition of forces doesn't "lose" energy and still keeps the conservation of energy.

I thought about analysing forces but the problem I came across is that i will need to do inegral on an equation with theta (which is kinda difficult I think)

16386372902547818056605213662605.jpg

Edit: btw thanks a lot for the help

Last edited:
hayke101 said:
Did you sort it out? If not (as I suspect from your attachment) try answering these...

Q1. The initial extension of each spring is d, so the initial energy stored in each spring is ____.

Q2. When m is displaced a distance x to the right, the new length of each spring, in terms of x and θ, is _______ (hint: use a bit of simple trigonometry).

Q3. Using the answer to Q2, the new extension of each spring is ___________.

Q4. Using the answer to Q3, the new energy stored in each spring is now _____________

Q5. So when m was displaced a distance x to thee right (and using your answers to Q1 and Q4) each spring was given additional energy _____________.

If you can answer those, the rest of the problem should be plain sailing.

Likes PeroK
If you assume conservation of energy, what do you get?

Related to What is the Conservation of Energy in Spring Work at an Angle?

1. What is spring work done at an angle?

Spring work done at an angle refers to the amount of work done by a spring when it is compressed or stretched at an angle to its equilibrium position.

2. How is spring work done at an angle calculated?

The formula for spring work done at an angle is W = 1/2kx²cosθ, where W is the work done, k is the spring constant, x is the displacement from equilibrium, and θ is the angle between the direction of the force and the displacement.

3. What is the significance of the angle in spring work done?

The angle in spring work done represents the direction of the force applied to the spring. When the angle is 0 degrees, the force is in the same direction as the displacement, resulting in maximum work done. As the angle increases, the force becomes less aligned with the displacement, resulting in less work done.

4. How does the angle affect the amount of work done by a spring?

The angle has a significant impact on the amount of work done by a spring. As the angle increases, the force becomes less aligned with the displacement, resulting in less work done. This means that the work done by a spring is always less than the force applied multiplied by the displacement.

5. What are some real-life examples of spring work done at an angle?

Some examples of spring work done at an angle include opening and closing a door, using a catapult, and compressing a spring in a slingshot. In these situations, the spring is being stretched or compressed at an angle to its equilibrium position, resulting in work being done by the spring.