What is the connection between sine and cosine and geometry?

In summary, the conversation discusses the traditional way of defining functions in mathematics without reference to geometry, and how this differs for sine and cosine which require geometric arguments. It is then mentioned that there are alternative definitions using infinite series or initial value problems, which can be derived from the series definitions. The book "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" by Rudin is referenced as an example of defining sine and cosine purely in terms of algebraic means. The conversation also touches on the origin of the word "sine" and how geometry is always defined on shapes, not arithmetic.
aaaa202
Ordinarily in mathematics, when you want to define a function, it is without reference to geometry. For instance the mapping f:ℝ→ℝ x→x2
And though I don't know much about mathematics I assume you somehow proof that the function is well defined for all numbers, check if the derivative exists and so forth.

But for sine and cosine it seems somewhat different if you use the definition with the unit circle. It seems then that all their properties must be proven through geometric arguments. How do you for instance proove that they are defined for all numbers? How do you proove anything about their derivatives and general limits of them, when all you can resort to is a "drawing"?!

Maybe my worries are for nothing, but I still wanted to ask the question and ask whether there exists a definition of them purely in terms of algebraic means.

Physics news on Phys.org
aaaa202 said:
Ordinarily in mathematics, when you want to define a function, it is without reference to geometry. For instance the mapping f:ℝ→ℝ x→x2
And though I don't know much about mathematics I assume you somehow proof that the function is well defined for all numbers, check if the derivative exists and so forth.

But for sine and cosine it seems somewhat different if you use the definition with the unit circle. It seems then that all their properties must be proven through geometric arguments. How do you for instance proove that they are defined for all numbers? How do you proove anything about their derivatives and general limits of them, when all you can resort to is a "drawing"?!

Maybe my worries are for nothing, but I still wanted to ask the question and ask whether there exists a definition of them purely in terms of algebraic means.

There are infinite series that are equivalent to the sin and cos functions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigonometric_functions

look for the series definition a third of the way into the article.

One can also define sine and cosine in terms of an "initial value problem":
y= cos(x) is the function satisfying y''= -y with y(0)= 1, y'(0)= 0.

y= sin(x) is the function satisfying y''= -y with y(0)= 0, y'(0)= 0.

All of the properties can be derived from those. And those facts can be derived from the series definitions jedishrfu cites. Proving periodicity takes some work!

aaaa202 said:

Rudin's book "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" defines sin(x) and cos(x) vie their Maclaurin series, then shows that series converge nicely for all x, that the functions have the derivatives they should, that sin(x)^2 + cos(x)^2 = 1 for all x, that sin(x) has a smallest positive zero (which we can call π), and that sin(x) and cos(x) are periodic of period 2π. All that can be done without any pictures at all---even without any geometry.

Of course, then you have the issue of connecting those functions to the usual trigonometric ones, so that you are allowed to use them in geometry. (Actually, I think Rudin denotes those functions as S(x) and C(x), and then shows that S and C have the properties of sin and cos.)

I heard that "sine" is the english form of an arabic word (after being latinized by monks and mangled on the way) which means "half chord".
Geometry is always defined on shapes, not arithmetic.
[didn't read all the way through]

You can note that there are arithmetic relations that will also get you there. They are just fancy ways of writing out the geometry.

Attachments

• trig-circle.png
    trig-circle.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 474
Last edited:

Related to What is the connection between sine and cosine and geometry?

1. What is the definition of sine and cosine?

Sine and cosine are two of the basic trigonometric functions in mathematics that are used to describe the relationships between the sides and angles of a right triangle.

2. How do you calculate sine and cosine?

Sine is calculated by dividing the length of the side opposite the angle by the length of the hypotenuse, while cosine is calculated by dividing the length of the adjacent side by the length of the hypotenuse.

3. What is the difference between sine and cosine?

The main difference between sine and cosine is that sine is used to calculate the vertical component of a triangle, while cosine is used to calculate the horizontal component.

4. Can sine and cosine be negative?

Yes, sine and cosine can be negative depending on the quadrant in which the angle is located. In the first and third quadrants, both sine and cosine are positive, while in the second and fourth quadrants, sine is positive and cosine is negative.

5. How are sine and cosine used in real life?

Sine and cosine are used in a variety of fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation. They are used to model periodic phenomena such as sound waves, light waves, and electrical currents. They are also used in the design of structures such as bridges and buildings.