What is the condition for destructive interference in thin films?

In summary: So the condition for constructive interference is that there must be zero phase reversals, while the condition for destructive interference is that there must be two phase reversals.In summary, according to the homework equations, destructive interference occurs when 2T = \lambda/2. Right? Since \lambda = \lambda_0 / n, then 2T= \lambda/2n right? The correct answer is C though.
premed

Homework Statement

Light of wavelength [tex]\lambda[/tex] strikes a pane of glass of thickness T and refractice index n, as shown in figure(I attached a diagram I made). Part of the beam is reflected off the upper surface of the glass, and part is transmitted and then reflected off the lower surface of the glass. Destructive interference between these two beams will occur if :
a) T = [tex]\lambda[/tex] / 2
b) 2T = [tex]\lambda[/tex] / 2
c) T = [tex]\lambda[/tex] / 2n
d) 2T = [tex]\lambda[/tex] / 2n

Homework Equations

2T= m[tex]\lambda[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

According to this equation, destructive interference occurs when 2T = [tex]\lambda[/tex] /2. Right? Since [tex]\lambda[/tex] = [tex]\lambda[/tex] [tex]_{0}[/tex] / n, then 2T= [tex]\lambda[/tex] / 2n right? The correct answer is C though. I got answer D. What am i doing wrong. Thanks

Attachments

• diagram1.doc
    24.5 KB · Views: 214
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi premed,

In section 3 you have remarked that destructive interference occurs when [itex]2 T = \lambda/2[/itex]. How did you find this? In your relevant equations section, you had already stated that the conditions for destructive interference was given by [itex]2 T = m \lambda[/itex].

In that equation, m is an integer (with appropriate restrictions) and [itex]\lambda[/itex] is the wavelength in the film; I don't think you can get [itex]2 T = \lambda/2[/itex] from that unless m=1/2 which is not allowed.

Sorry. I'll clarify. The book gives the equation for constructice interfence as 2T=m[tex]\lambda[/tex] where m is an integer. For destructice interference 2T = (m+1/2)[tex]\lambda[/tex] . that's why i put in 2T = [tex]\lambda[/tex] /2. The m in this case doesn't matter as long as 2T is not an integral multiple of [tex]\lambda[/tex] because it is destructive interference. I set m = 0 so that's how I got 2T = [tex]\lambda[/tex] /2. Does that make sense?

Hi premed,

With thin film interference you have two things you have to keep track of: the effects of the path length difference of the two light rays, and the effects of reflection on the phase of the light rays.

When a light ray reflects off a material with a higher index of refraction, it experiences a phase reversal. Whether [itex]2T = m\lambda_n[/itex] (where [itex]\lambda_n[/itex] is the wavelength in the film) is the constructive or destructive condition depends on how many phase reversals there are in the problem (0, 1 or 2).

So how many phase reversals occur? What does that by itself do to the relative phase of the light rays? Once you have that information, then the condition

[tex]
2 T = m \lambda_n
[/tex]

will leave their relative phase (from the reflection effects) unchanged, and

[tex]
2 T = (m+\frac{1}{2}) \lambda_n
[/tex]

moves them out of phase an additional 180 degrees.

Related to What is the condition for destructive interference in thin films?

What is interference in thin films?

Interference in thin films is a phenomenon where light waves reflect and interfere with each other as they pass through a thin film. This interference creates patterns of light and dark regions, which can be observed as colors.

How does interference in thin films occur?

Interference in thin films occurs when light waves reflect off the top and bottom surfaces of a thin film. The waves interact with each other, either constructively or destructively, resulting in the observed interference pattern.

What factors affect the interference pattern in thin films?

The thickness of the thin film, the refractive index of the film, and the angle of incidence of the light all affect the interference pattern in thin films. Changes in these factors can result in different interference patterns or even no interference at all.

What are some real-world applications of interference in thin films?

Interference in thin films is used in various applications, such as anti-reflective coatings on eyeglasses, coatings on camera lenses, and in optical filters. It is also used in non-destructive testing methods, such as ellipsometry, to measure the thickness and optical properties of thin films.

How is the color of thin films determined by interference?

The color of a thin film is determined by the thickness of the film and the wavelength of light. As light waves reflect and interfere with each other, certain wavelengths are reinforced, resulting in the observed color. A change in thickness or angle of incidence can change the color of the film due to changes in the interference pattern.