What is the concentration of starch in this example?

In summary: You are correct.In summary, the conversation discussed the concentration of starch in a solution after evaporation of water. The initial concentration was 3 wt % in 230 grams of water, but after 100 grams of water was removed, the remaining 130 grams of solution had a concentration of 1.69 wt % starch. The final concentration of starch in the mixture was 5.3 wt %, with an initial amount of 6.9 grams of starch.
Cyrus the great

Homework Statement

[/B]
I had 3 wt % starch concentration in 230 gram of water. During the experiment 100 gram of water was evaporated and gone. Therefore, 130 gram of solution was remained. What is the wt% concentration of the starch after water evaporation? Is my calculation sounds correct to you?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
230 gram 3 %
130 gram X=1.69+3=4.69 %

Physics news on Phys.org
No. Try again.

Can you say a bit more in words what your calculations are? :smile:

In your previous thread you correctly solved slightly different case, and the rules are identical here. After you remove 100 g of solvent, what is the final mass of the mixture? How many grams of starch does it contain?

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
Can you say a bit more in words what your calculations are? :smile:

I calculated if in 230 gram we have 3 wt % of starch so what wt % we have in 130 gram and it becomes 1.69 wt %. Then, I summed up 3 %+1.69 %=4.69 %. May I ask if I calculated correctly?

Borek said:
In your previous thread you correctly solved slightly different case, and the rules are identical here. After you remove 100 g of solvent, what is the final mass of the mixture? How many grams of starch does it contain?
130 gram multiple to 0.03 =3.9 gram of starch we have got.

Cyrus the great said:
130 gram multiple to 0.03 =3.9 gram of starch we have got.
But I don't know what should I do after this. Could you please help me.

What was the initial amount of starch and why do you think it has changed? Was it removed from the mixture, or was only water removed?

And the most important thing: what is the definition of the % concentration?

Borek said:
What was the initial amount of starch and why do you think it has changed? Was it removed from the mixture, or was only water removed?

Yes it was only water evaporated and removed. The % concentration is based on gram of starch divided to gram of all the materials (Starch+water). In this example 3.9 gram starch remained and the total gram of material left is 130 gram. So, 3.9/130=3 %.

But, I get confused why I get again 3 % concentration. 100 gram of water is removed so I should get above 3 % concentration for starch. Have I done something wrong?

Borek said:

Now I understood. Initial amount of starch was 230 mutiple 0.03=6.9 gram therefore the concentration is 6.9/130=5.3 %

Am i right?

Cyrus the great said:
Initial amount of starch was 230 mutiple 0.03=6.9 gram therefore the concentration is 6.9/130=5.3 %

Am i right?

Yes.

Likes Cyrus the great

Related to What is the concentration of starch in this example?

1. What is the definition of concentration?

Concentration refers to the amount of a substance per unit volume or mass. It is a measure of how much of a particular substance is present in a given sample or solution.

2. How is the concentration of starch measured?

The concentration of starch can be measured using various methods, including spectrophotometry, chromatography, and titration. These methods involve the use of chemical reactions and instruments to determine the amount of starch present in a sample.

3. What factors can affect the concentration of starch in a sample?

The concentration of starch in a sample can be affected by factors such as the type of starch present, the source of the starch, the method of extraction, and the conditions in which the sample is stored.

4. Why is it important to know the concentration of starch in a sample?

Knowing the concentration of starch in a sample can provide valuable information about the composition and quality of the sample. It can also help in determining the appropriate dosage for certain medications or in identifying the presence of certain substances in a sample.

5. How do you calculate the concentration of starch in a sample?

The concentration of starch can be calculated using the formula: concentration (g/L) = (mass of starch (g) / volume of solution (L)). This formula can be modified depending on the specific method of measurement being used.