What is the composition of T and T in terms of linear transformations?

In summary, we have a linear transformation T that maps a vector v onto the projection of v onto u. This transformation is shown to be linear, and when composed with itself, it simply returns the original projection. The standard matrix for T can be found by using the formula for projection onto a vector in R^2.
BenZino11
Let u (not equal to 0) be a vector in R^2 and let
T: v --> proju(v)

1. Show that T is a linear transformation.
2. Describe the composition T  T.
3. If ~u = [1,−1], find the standard matrix for T.

I'm good with 1 and 3, but I'm not sure what 2 is asking. Excuse the poor notation, it's my first time using this site.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the little boxes supposed to be?

Sorry, I don't see little boxes. Maybe a computer issue but its just:

ToT (I'm not sure if this is T dot T or if the larger circle represents something else)

Thanks!

I see three boxes: T  T. It's probably a thing with the browser, IE 8.0 seems to be
unable to display certain characters.

If T(v) is the project of v onto u, what happens if you take the projection of the projection of v? I.e., what is T(T(v))?

( (u.[( (u.v)/(u.u) )u])/u.u ) u

Is that all?

You're missing my point. Once you project the vector for the first time, you have already "flattened" it out in the direction of u. What will happen if you try to flatten it out again?

The length will remain the same, as the projection of the vector v on u is the vector itself.
So I suppose to describe the composition I would just write out the original projection formula?

Related to What is the composition of T and T in terms of linear transformations?

What is "Composition of Function"?

Composition of function is a mathematical operation where the output of one function is used as the input of another function. It is denoted by "f(g(x))" and is read as "f of g of x".

What is the purpose of "Composition of Function"?

The purpose of composition of function is to combine two or more functions to create a new function. This allows for more complex mathematical operations to be performed.

How is "Composition of Function" different from regular function composition?

Regular function composition is the process of combining two or more functions to create a new function. Composition of function, on the other hand, is the actual mathematical operation where the output of one function is used as the input of another.

What are the properties of "Composition of Function"?

There are three main properties of composition of function: associative, distributive, and identity. The associative property states that the order of composition does not matter, the distributive property states that composition distributes over addition and subtraction, and the identity property states that the identity function can be used in composition without changing the output.

How is "Composition of Function" used in real life?

Composition of function is used in many real-life situations, such as in physics to calculate force, acceleration, and velocity, in economics to model the relationship between supply and demand, and in computer science to create complex algorithms and programs.