What is the complex number C for the transformation T?

In summary, the transformation T maps the plane onto itself by multiplying points by a complex number. For a specific complex number C, the transformation takes the smaller house to the larger one. The point (14,1) on the smaller house is transformed to (34,-112) on the larger house, indicating a rotation and expansion of the small house.
avyunker
The transformation T maps the plane onto itself by multiplication by a complex number. That is, there is a complex number C=a+ib such that for any point P(x,y), T(P) is the point corresponding to the complex number C⋅P. For a particular complex number C the transformation T takes the smaller house in the diagram to the larger one. The point A=(14,1) ( the upper left corner of the window) on the smaller house is taken to the point T(A)=(34,-112) on the larger house.

The complex number C=?

The small house is rotated ? degrees counterclockwise and expanded by a factor of ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
avyunker said:
The transformation T maps the plane onto itself by multiplication by a complex number. That is, there is a complex number C=a+ib such that for any point P(x,y), T(P) is the point corresponding to the complex number C⋅P. For a particular complex number C the transformation T takes the smaller house in the diagram to the larger one. The point A=(14,1) ( the upper left corner of the window) on the smaller house is taken to the point T(A)=(34,-112) on the larger house.

The complex number C=?

The small house is rotated ? degrees counterclockwise and expanded by a factor of ?

You need to work out a complex number (C = a + i b) such that (a + i b)(14 + i) = 34 - 112i.

Related to What is the complex number C for the transformation T?

What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that contains both a real part and an imaginary part. It is written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part, with i representing the square root of -1.

How do you perform operations with complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you simply combine the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. To multiply complex numbers, you use the FOIL method, just like with binomial multiplication. To divide complex numbers, you use the conjugate of the denominator to rationalize the expression.

What is the purpose of using complex numbers?

Complex numbers are used to represent and solve problems in mathematics, engineering, and physics. They are particularly useful in solving equations that involve imaginary numbers, and they have applications in fields such as signal processing, electrical engineering, and quantum mechanics.

Can complex numbers be graphed on a coordinate plane?

Yes, complex numbers can be graphed on a coordinate plane known as the complex plane. The horizontal axis represents the real part, and the vertical axis represents the imaginary part. This allows for visualizing and understanding the properties and relationships of complex numbers.

Are there any real-life examples of complex numbers?

Yes, there are several real-life examples of complex numbers. One example is in alternating current (AC) circuits, where complex numbers are used to model and analyze the behavior of electricity. Another example is in the field of economics, where complex numbers are used to represent and analyze financial data.