What is the commutator of position and momentum squared in quantum mechanics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of [\hat X, \hat P^2] and the confusion surrounding the definition of P^2. The final result is deemed correct and the suggestion to use impulse representation is given as an alternative method.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Calculate [tex][\hat X, \hat P^2][/tex].

Homework Equations

[tex][\hat A, \hat B] \Psi =[\hat A \hat B - \hat B \hat A ] \Psi[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused by [tex]P^2[/tex].
P is worth [tex]-i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/tex].
So I believe [tex]P^2= \hbar ^2 \left ( \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \right ) ^2[/tex].
If so, I get that [tex][\hat X, \hat P^2]= \hbar ^2 \left [ x \left ( \frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial x} \right ) ^2 -\Psi ^2 - 2x \Psi \frac {\partial \Psi}{\partial x} - x^2 \left ( \frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial x} \right )^2 \right ][/tex].
However if by [tex]\hat P ^2[/tex] they mean [tex]\hbar ^2 \frac{\partial ^2}{\partial x^2}[/tex], then I get [tex][\hat X, \hat P^2]=-2 \hbar ^2 \frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial x}[/tex].
I think my first approach was correct, but the answer I get seems way too complicated. I would like a feedback.

Physics news on Phys.org
It should the the latter.

[tex]
\hbar ^2 \frac{\partial ^2}{\partial x^2}
[/tex]

The Hamiltonian is often defined with the "P^2" operator.

While not all that physically meaningful, it's interesting to see what P^3 gives... (and so on)

Last edited:
Oh, thank you. I wasn't aware of that.
I'd like to know if I got a logical result, if it's not too much asked. :smile:
In all cases I'll redo the algebra tomorrow.

Oh yeah, the result is correct, and I guess see my edit that just made if you are curious.

Or you could change to impulse representation where the momentum operator acts on [tex]\psi (k)[/tex] the same as the position operator acts on [tex]\psi (x)[/tex] in coordinate representation :) That way you need not mess with derivatives.

But in the end you get the same result ;) So I guess it's the matter of which way is easier to you...

Related to What is the commutator of position and momentum squared in quantum mechanics?

What is a commutator in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, a commutator is an operator that represents the order in which two other operators should be applied. It is defined as the difference between the product of two operators and the product of the same operators in reverse order.

Why is the commutator important in quantum mechanics?

The commutator is important because it helps us understand the fundamental properties of quantum systems. It determines whether two operators can be measured simultaneously, and it plays a key role in the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

How is the commutator related to the uncertainty principle?

The commutator is related to the uncertainty principle because it quantifies the uncertainty in simultaneous measurements of two operators. If the commutator of two operators is non-zero, it means that the two operators do not commute and their values cannot be known with certainty at the same time.

What is the mathematical expression for the commutator?

The mathematical expression for the commutator of two operators A and B is [A, B] = AB - BA. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is used to describe the behavior of quantum systems.

How is the commutator used in quantum mechanics calculations?

The commutator is used in quantum mechanics calculations to determine the properties and behavior of quantum systems. It is used to calculate the time evolution of a system, determine the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of operators, and to understand the relationship between different operators and their measurements.