What is the combination of the safe?

In summary, the combination to the safe containing the dilithium crystals on the Starship Enterprise can be found by using the pH of solution A and C. Solution A is a 0.100 M solution of the weak monoprotic acid HX and solution C is made by adding 15.0 mL of 0.225 M KOH to solution A. To find the pH of solution A, the Ka of HX must be determined. This can be done by using the pH of solution B, which is a 0.0500 M solution of the salt NaX with a pH of 10.02. However, there may be a mistake in the calculation of the Ka, as it results in a very
chjopl
Captain Kirk, of the Starship Enterprise, has been told by his superiors that only a chemist can be trusted with the combination to the safe containing the dilithium crystals that power the ship. The combination, which consists of four numbers, is the pH of solution A described below, followed by the pH of solution C. (Example: If the pH of solution A is 3.47 and that of solution C is 8.15, then the combination to the safe is 3-47-8-15.) The chemist must find the combination using only the information below. All solutions are at 25C.

Solution A is 50.0 mL of a 0.100 M solution of the weak monoprotic acid HX.

Solution B is a 0.0500 M solution of the salt NaX. It has a pH of 10.02.

Solution C is made by adding 15.0 mL of 0.225 M KOH to solution A.

Hint: You don't need to know the identity of X, except that the X in solution A is the same as in solution B.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show us some work first. You will information about solution A before you can find any about solution C, so leave that last one out for now. Since A is a weak acid, you need to find its Ka before you can find its pH. How can you do this using information about solution B? Keep the hint in mind.

For solution b I took -log x= 10.02 so i got x to be 9.55*10^-11. Then i took K_b=(9.55*10^-11)^2/(.5-9.55*10^-11) and got the K_b to be 1.82*10^-20. I think i messed up there because when i take K_w/K_b=K_a i get the K_a to be a very large number. Where did I go wrong?

Related to What is the combination of the safe?

The combination of the safe is a sequence of numbers or symbols used to unlock the safe and access its contents.

How do you determine the combination of a safe?

The combination of a safe is typically set by the owner or manufacturer. It can be determined by trial and error, or by using a safe cracking method such as manipulation or drilling.

Is there a universal combination for all safes?

No, there is not a universal combination for all safes. Each safe has its own unique combination set by the owner or manufacturer.

Can the combination of a safe be changed?

Yes, the combination of a safe can be changed. Some safes have a built-in mechanism for changing the combination, while others may require a professional locksmith to change it.

What should I do if I forget the combination of my safe?

If you forget the combination of your safe, you can try to recall it or consult any documentation or manuals that came with the safe. If those options are not available, you may need to contact the manufacturer or a professional locksmith to help you retrieve or reset the combination.