What is the color code for a zero Ohm resistance?

In summary, the color code of a zero ohm resistance can vary depending on the material used, with silver for aluminum wire and copper-colored for copper wire. It is a common practice in industry to use zero ohm links as jumpers in circuit design for selecting specific circuit behavior. These links also allow for the option of adding or removing an actual component in the same position. They are often used for automation and to create a single board that can be programmed for multiple functions. The color coding for zero ohm resistors is not as significant as the correct tolerance band value.
shahroz
What will be the color code of a zero Ohm resistance?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Color codes are seen on resistor you can buy in a shop. Does anybody sell resistors of zero ohm resistance?

It will be silver if it's an aluminum wire or copper-colored if it's a copper wire. :smile:

Actually, I do seem to recall from another thread here that there IS such a thing as a zero-ohm resister but that just seems weird to me since all you need is a wire.

If you ask enough silly questions you will just sometimes get a sensible answer :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-ohm_link

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcREw_D5OgoxKbpajzYuZSCLBXvWGwzumiDuKSFHCJwR7On7cI7kHQ.jpg

Likes ehild
Nidum said:
If you ask enough silly questions you will just sometimes get a sensible answer :

Not really such a daft idea, actually. The zero ohm link could be replaced by a link, when required, with finite resistance which would fit straight into position.

sophiecentaur said:
Not really such a daft idea, actually. The zero ohm link could be replaced by a link, when required, with finite resistance which would fit straight into position.
Yup, very common in industry practice. One incorporates a number of "jumpers" into the circuit design. Removing or adding zero-ohm resistors at those points selects certain circuit behavior - for instance, choice of 5V or 3.3V power.

tfr000 said:
Yup, very common in industry practice. One incorporates a number of "jumpers" into the circuit design. Removing or adding zero-ohm resistors at those points selects certain circuit behavior - for instance, choice of 5V or 3.3V power.
Clever. So this way the PC board doesn't have to be modified, just the component insertion process. When I was an engineer trainee back in the '60s we just used wire jumpers, but then we were doing everything by hand but this is great for automation. I DO recall that the wire jumpers we used (they weren't just wire, they were a plastic form containing pins) were smaller than a resistor form factor and I remember using the same things on PC boards back in the early days of personal computers, but they didn't allow the option of putting an actual component in the same position which, as Sophie points out, these do.

Also allows design of one board which can be "programmed" via jumpers to do a number of different things. Often used to disable/enable certain premium features.

Nidum said:

I use lots of these in commercial gear I build :smile:

a section of one of my boards, note the zero Ohm links ...
PA200001asm.jpg

Dave

Likes Nidum
I would think that term would only apply to a superconductor jumper; but, I guess the correct tolerance band value deals with that issue.

JBA said:
I would think that term would only apply to a superconductor jumper; but, I guess the correct tolerance band value deals with that issue.

How much is a relative error of plus or minus ten percent on a zero ohm resistor?

A good point, I just let my mind slide through the fact that they are in percentages to the fact that the result is always a numerical value range. As a result, there justr seems to be no real excuse for this gross product mislabeling. (Just kidding)
At this point I shall simply make my way back to the ME section where I belong and leave it the EE folks to deal with this dilemma.

JBA said:
but, I guess the correct tolerance band value deals with that issue.

look at those ones on my circuit board pix ... do you see a tolerance band ? ... noDave

Related to What is the color code for a zero Ohm resistance?

What is the color code of resistance?

The color code of resistance is a system used to identify the resistance value of a resistor. It consists of a series of colored bands that are placed on the resistor, each representing a specific digit or multiplier.

How many color bands are used in the color code of resistance?

There are typically four to six colored bands used in the color code of resistance, depending on the precision of the resistor. The more bands there are, the more precise the resistance value will be.

What do the different colors represent in the color code of resistance?

Each color represents a specific number or multiplier. The first two bands indicate the first and second digits of the resistance value, the third band represents the multiplier, and the fourth band (if present) indicates the tolerance of the resistor.

How do I read the color code of resistance?

To read the color code of resistance, start by identifying the first band on the left and determine its color. Then, do the same for the second band. Use a color chart or mnemonic device to match the colors to their corresponding numbers. Finally, identify the third band and multiply the first two digits by the multiplier value to get the resistance value in ohms.

Why is the color code of resistance important?

The color code of resistance is important because it allows us to quickly and easily determine the resistance value of a resistor without the need for complex calculations. It is also used to identify the correct placement of resistors on a circuit board, ensuring the proper functioning of electronic devices.