What Is the Coefficient of Static Friction Between the Ring and the Shaft?

In summary, the 5-kg cylinder is suspended from two equal length cords, each attached to a ring on a horizontal shaft. The maximum distance the rings can be separated while still supporting the cylinder is d = 400 mm. By finding the tension in the cords, the angle between the cords and the shaft, and using the equations F=μ*N, ∑Fx=0, and ∑Fy=0, it was determined that the coefficient of static friction between each ring and the shaft is 0.354.
bigu01

Homework Statement

The 5-kg cylinder is suspended from two equal length cords. The end of each cord is attached to a ring of negligible mass that passes along a horizontal shaft. If the rings can be separated by the greatest distance d= 400 mm and still support the cylinder, determine the the coefficient of static friction between each ring and the shaft.

Homework Equations

F=μ*N; ∑Fx= 0; ∑Fy= 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly, I am finding the tension in the cords. By taking the FBD of the point that it is connecting all the three cords I am getting T= 73.57 N and the angle 19.47 (angle between the shaft and the cords). Then drawing the FBD of the shaft, the friction forces are turning to be in opposite directions, thus canceling each other.I know something is wrong, as the book result of the solution suggests it too.Can you please give me hints where to look for my mistake?

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 715
Physics news on Phys.org
hi bigu01! :smile:
bigu01 said:
Firstly, I am finding the tension in the cords. By taking the FBD of the point that it is connecting all the three cords I am getting T= 73.57 N and the angle 19.47 (angle between the shaft and the cords). Then drawing the FBD of the shaft, the friction forces are turning to be in opposite directions, thus canceling each other.I know something is wrong, as the book result of the solution suggests it too.Can you please give me hints where to look for my mistake?

can you show us your calculations?

(particularly, how do you get 73.57 ?)

Likes 1 person
bigu01: 19.47 deg is not the angle between a cord and the shaft. Try again. The tensile force in each cord, T = 73.57 N, currently looks incorrect. Try again. Also, remember to leave one space character between sentences. :smile:

Last edited:
tiny-tim said:
hi bigu01! :smile:

can you show us your calculations?

(particularly, how do you get 73.57 ?)

I uploaded two pictures of my work, I hope it is clear.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 654
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 682
bigu01: 19.47 deg is incorrect. Try again.

Likes 1 person
nvn said:
bigu01: 19.47 deg is not the angle between a cord and the shaft. Try again. The tensile force in each cord, T = 73.57 N, currently looks incorrect. Try again. Also, remember to leave one space character between sentences. :smile:

Okay, I think I got the correct result now, my angle is 70.5 deg and the tensile force in each cord is, T = 26 N. I think this is correct. But, still in the FBD of shaft my forces are cancelling each other. About leaving a space character between sentences I am trying to do it every time, but I have not got used to it. So until, I make it as a habit I will be forgetting from time to time. However, thank you for reminding it to me.

bigu01: Good, you got theta correct ... except, from item 1, below, it should be 70.53 deg. And T is correct, except it should be T = 26.01 N.

Now compute the horizontal component of T; i.e., force Fs. Also compute the normal (vertical) component of T.

What is the relationship between friction force (Fs) and normal force? Hint 1: Use mu, static coefficient of friction (COF), to write the relationship (equation), then solve for mu.

(1) Generally always maintain at least four significant digits throughout all your intermediate calculations, then round only the final answer to three significant digits.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Okay, I got it. Fs = mu * N, and also Fs T * cos theta , I found N and then put it into the equations got the correct result for mu. So, in this question we did not need to write FBD for the shaft, because I could not solve it in that way, using components of the force was much easier. Thank you very much. About that significant digits throughout calculations, I do that only in exam time. Which is very bad, but I am trying to improve myself every time, as in the case of writing to physicsforums.com :). By the way, mu = 0.354 (rounded-up :) )

Excellent work, bigu01. Your answer is correct.

Likes 1 person

Related to What Is the Coefficient of Static Friction Between the Ring and the Shaft?

1. What is friction and how does it affect a ring?

Friction is the force that resists the motion of an object when it is in contact with another surface. In the case of a ring, friction can cause it to slow down or stop when it is rolling on a surface.

2. How is the coefficient of friction related to a ring?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of how rough or smooth the surface of the ring is. A rougher surface will have a higher coefficient of friction, meaning more resistance to motion, while a smoother surface will have a lower coefficient of friction.

3. Can the shape of the ring affect its friction?

Yes, the shape of the ring can affect its friction. A ring with a larger diameter will have more surface area in contact with the surface, resulting in more friction. A ring with a smaller diameter will have less surface area and therefore less friction.

4. How does the weight of the ring impact its friction?

The weight of the ring can also affect its friction. A heavier ring will have more force pushing down on the surface, resulting in more friction. A lighter ring will have less force and therefore less friction.

5. What are some ways to reduce the friction of a ring?

There are a few ways to reduce the friction of a ring. One way is to use a lubricant, such as oil or grease, to make the surface smoother. Another way is to change the material of the ring to one with a lower coefficient of friction. Additionally, reducing the weight of the ring or changing its shape can also decrease friction.