What Is the Coefficient of Performance of a Carnot Air Conditioner?

In summary: Thanks for your help.For the refrigerator, Q_H = \Delta W + Q_C This means that the heat flowing out of the cold reservoir + work added is equal to the heat flowing into the hot reservoir.For the reversible (ideal) Carnot cycle, \Delta S = 0 where S = Q/T So:Q_H/T_H - Q_C/T_C = 0Combining these two equations:Q_H = Q_C(T_H/T_C) = \Delta W + Q_CT_H/T_C = \Delta W/Q_C + 1Q_C
BlackMamba
Hi there,

I have what should be a simple problem, but it's driving me insane.

Here's the problem: A Carnot air conditioner maintains the temperature in a house at 290 K on a day when the temperature outside is 315 K. What is the coefficient of performance of the air conditioner?

So I know to find the coefficient it would be Qc/W. I have neither of those numbers in the problem. I do have Th and Tc and even if I do substitutions I will ALWAYS have two unknowns. At least the way I am attempting this.

My thinking was originally that I could substitute for Qc, since Oc = W + Qh but I still have two unknown variables... What am I forgetting??

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
BlackMamba said:
Here's the problem: A Carnot air conditioner maintains the temperature in a house at 290 K on a day when the temperature outside is 315 K. What is the coefficient of performance of the air conditioner?
They expect you to determine the coefficient of performance of an ideal Carnot cycle using:

[tex]COP = \frac{T_C}{T_H-T_C}[/tex]

AM

Thanks for replying but how did you come to that point? In my book the equation for the coefficient of performance is Qc/W. No where in my book is your equation listed.

Thanks for your help.

BlackMamba said:
Thanks for replying but how did you come to that point? In my book the equation for the coefficient of performance is Qc/W. No where in my book is your equation listed.

Thanks for your help.
For the refrigerator,
[tex]Q_H = \Delta W + Q_C [/tex]
This means that the heat flowing out of the cold reservoir + work added is equal to the heat flowing into the hot reservoir.

For the reversible (ideal) Carnot cycle, [tex]\Delta S = 0[/tex] where S = Q/T
So:
[tex]Q_H/T_H - Q_C/T_C = 0[/tex]

Combining these two equations:
[tex]Q_H = Q_C(T_H/T_C) = \Delta W + Q_C[/tex]
[tex]T_H/T_C = \Delta W/Q_C + 1[/tex]
[tex]Q_C/\Delta W = 1/(T_H/T_C - 1)[/tex]

Which simply reduces to:
[tex]Q_C/\Delta W = T_C/(T_H-T_C)[/tex]

AM

Last edited:

Related to What Is the Coefficient of Performance of a Carnot Air Conditioner?

What is a Carnot Air Conditioner?

A Carnot air conditioner is a type of air conditioning system that operates based on the principles of the Carnot cycle, which is a thermodynamic cycle that describes the most efficient way to convert heat into work. It is named after the French physicist, Sadi Carnot.

How does a Carnot Air Conditioner work?

A Carnot air conditioner works by using a compressor to compress a refrigerant gas, such as Freon, which increases its temperature and pressure. The hot gas then passes through a condenser where it releases heat and condenses into a liquid. The liquid then travels through an expansion valve, which reduces its pressure and temperature. The cool liquid then enters an evaporator where it absorbs heat from the surrounding air, cooling it. The cool gas then returns to the compressor to repeat the cycle.

What are the advantages of a Carnot Air Conditioner?

One of the main advantages of a Carnot air conditioner is its high efficiency. Due to its use of the Carnot cycle, it is able to convert heat into work at a maximum efficiency, making it more energy-efficient than other air conditioning systems. Additionally, Carnot air conditioners do not use any harmful chemicals, making them more environmentally friendly.

What are the drawbacks of a Carnot Air Conditioner?

One of the main drawbacks of a Carnot air conditioner is its high cost. The complex design and use of high-quality materials make it more expensive to manufacture and install compared to other air conditioning systems. Additionally, Carnot air conditioners require regular maintenance and may be less effective in extremely hot or cold climates.

How can I maintain my Carnot Air Conditioner?

To ensure your Carnot air conditioner operates efficiently, it is important to regularly clean and replace the air filters, check the refrigerant levels, and schedule routine maintenance with a professional technician. It is also recommended to keep the surrounding area clean and free of any obstructions to allow for proper air flow.