What Is the Coefficient of Kinetic Friction for a Hockey Puck on Ice?

• Thread starter bbreezy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the problem involves a hockey puck sliding on ice with an initial speed of 14.1 m/s and stopping after a distance of 198.9 m. To find the average value of the coefficient of kinetic friction, the net force on the puck must be calculated using basic kinematics. By equating the net force to the frictional force, the expression uk=a/g is used. However, if the incorrect answer is obtained, it is likely due to a miscalculation of the object's acceleration.
bbreezy
I am having trouble with this problem, it states:
A hockey puck on a frozen pond with an initial speed of 14.1 m/s stops after sliding a distance of 198.9 m. Calculate the average value of the coefficient of kinetic friction between the puck and the ice.

I tried using the equation uk=a/g but didnt work out for me. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF bbreezy!

Using basic kinematics, you can figure out what the object's acceleration must have been for it to require that stopping distance in order to come to rest from that initial speed.

Once you know the acceleration of the object, you know the net force on the object (due to Newton's second law). In this case, the net force is the frictional force, since it is the only one that acts on the object. So, equating the net force to the frictional force, you will indeed find that the expression you posted for the coefficient of friction is correct (since it will just turn out to be the ratio of the net force to the weight, and the m's will cancel).

So, if you didn't get the right answer, you must not have computed 'a' correctly. Can you post your calculations here?

Vi+2ad = 0
14.1+2(a)(198) = 0
2(a)(198) = -14.1

then this is where I think I am messing up

bbreezy said:
Vi+2ad = 0
14.1+2(a)(198) = 0
2(a)(198) = -14.1

then this is where I think I am messing up

It should really be:

vi2 + 2ad = 0

Last edited:

I would approach this problem by first identifying the known variables and then using appropriate equations to solve for the unknown variable.

In this case, we know the initial speed of the puck (14.1 m/s), the distance it travels (198.9 m), and we are trying to find the coefficient of kinetic friction between the puck and the ice. The equation we can use to solve for this is Ff = μkN, where Ff is the force of friction, μk is the coefficient of kinetic friction, and N is the normal force.

To find the normal force, we can use the equation N = mg, where m is the mass of the puck and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). We can then substitute this into the first equation, along with the known distance and initial velocity, to solve for μk.

Therefore, the average value of the coefficient of kinetic friction between the puck and the ice is μk = Ff/N = (m*g*d)/N = (m*g*d)/(m*g) = d, where d is the distance traveled divided by the mass of the puck.

I would also like to note that using the equation uk=a/g would not be appropriate in this scenario as it is for calculating the coefficient of kinetic friction on an inclined plane, not on a flat surface like a frozen pond.

I hope this helps with solving the problem. If you continue to have trouble, I would recommend seeking assistance from a tutor or a colleague who may have more experience in this area.

Related to What Is the Coefficient of Kinetic Friction for a Hockey Puck on Ice?

1. What is the hockey puck friction problem?

The hockey puck friction problem is a scientific inquiry into the factors that affect the motion of a hockey puck on ice, specifically the amount of friction between the puck and the ice surface.

2. What are the main factors that affect the friction between a hockey puck and the ice?

The main factors that affect the friction between a hockey puck and the ice are the material properties of the puck and the ice, the temperature of the ice surface, and the force applied to the puck.

3. How does the temperature of the ice surface affect the friction of a hockey puck?

The temperature of the ice surface affects the friction of a hockey puck by changing the surface properties of the ice. At lower temperatures, the ice becomes harder and smoother, reducing the amount of friction between the puck and the ice. At higher temperatures, the ice becomes softer and rougher, increasing the friction between the puck and the ice.

4. How does the force applied to the puck affect its friction on the ice?

The force applied to the puck affects its friction on the ice by changing the pressure between the two surfaces. The greater the force applied, the greater the pressure and the more the puck will sink into the ice, increasing the friction. Conversely, a lower force will result in less friction as the puck will glide more easily on the surface of the ice.

5. How do scientists study the friction of a hockey puck on ice?

Scientists study the friction of a hockey puck on ice through experiments that measure the force, speed, and distance of the puck on different surfaces and under different conditions. They also use mathematical models and simulations to further understand the factors that affect friction and how they interact with each other.