What is the closed-form solution using ALS algorithm to optimize

In summary, the conversation discusses an objective function for collaborative matrix factorization with multiple similarity matrices and regularized parameters. The ALS algorithm is used to obtain the analytical solution for W and H by setting the partial derivatives to zero. However, the analytical solution for W cannot be obtained, and further assistance is needed to solve for W. The original paper by Xiaodong Zheng and co-workers provides a result for W, but it cannot be proven.
kevin2016
[tex]C \in \mathbb{R}^{m \times n}, X \in \mathbb{R}^{m \times n}, W \in \mathbb{R}^{m \times k}, H \in \mathbb{R}^{n \times k}, S \in \mathbb{R}^{m \times m}, P \in \mathbb{R}^{n \times n}[/tex]

##{S}## and ##{P}## are similarity matrices (symmetric).

##\lambda##, ##\alpha## and ##\beta## are regularized parameters (scalar).

##\circ## is Hadamard product (element-wise product).

$$\min_{W, H}f(W, H)=\|C\circ(X-WH^T)\|^2_F+\lambda\|W\|^2_F +\lambda\|H\|^2_F + \\\alpha\|S-WW^T\|^2_F +\beta\|P-HH^T\|^2_F$$

For the objective function ##{f}##, I used alternating least squares (ALS) algorithm to get the ##\frac{\partial f}{\partial W}## and ##\frac{\partial f}{\partial H}## and set both them to zeros (##\frac{\partial f}{\partial W} = 0##; ##\frac{\partial f}{\partial H}=0##), thus I can get the analytical solution for both ##{W}## and ##{H}##.

Let set first the ##H## as constant, thus in fact, I will solve such objective function to get ##W##.

$$\min_{W, H}f(W, H)=\|C\circ(X-WH^T)\|^2_F+\lambda\|W\|^2_F + \alpha\|S-WW^T\|^2_F$$

Finally, I get

$$\frac{\partial f}{\partial W} = 2[C \circ (WH^T)]H - 2(C \circ X)H +2{\lambda}W + 4{\alpha}WW^TW - 4{\alpha}SW = 0$$, that is

$$[C \circ (WH^T)]H - (C \circ X)H +{\lambda}W + 2{\alpha}WW^TW - 2{\alpha}SW = 0 \quad (1)$$

For equation ##(1)##, I can not get the analytical solution for ##W##. So can you help me work out:

$$W=?$$

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi Greg,

currently, I still can not get the answer about this questions.

In fact, if someone can get the ##\frac{\partial f}{\partial W_i}##, wher ##W_i## is the ##i##th row of W, it is also OK.

Here is the original paper: "Collaborative matrix factorization with multiple similarities for predictiong drug-target interactions" by xiaodong Zheng and co-workers. In the paper, they give the result (that is ##a_i##), but I can not proof their result. Can anybody help?

Thanks.

Related to What is the closed-form solution using ALS algorithm to optimize

1. What is the ALS algorithm?

The ALS algorithm stands for Alternating Least Squares algorithm, which is a machine learning algorithm used for optimization problems. It is commonly used for matrix factorization and collaborative filtering tasks.

2. What is a closed-form solution?

A closed-form solution is a mathematical expression or formula that gives the exact solution to a problem without the need for further calculations. It is often preferred in optimization problems as it provides a direct and efficient solution.

3. How does the ALS algorithm optimize?

The ALS algorithm optimizes by alternating between optimizing one variable while holding the other variables constant. This iterative process continues until a satisfactory solution is reached. In the case of matrix factorization, it iteratively updates the user and item factors until the error between the predicted and actual values is minimized.

4. What are the advantages of using the ALS algorithm for optimization?

One of the main advantages of using the ALS algorithm is its ability to handle large and sparse datasets efficiently. It also allows for parallel processing, making it suitable for distributed computing. Additionally, it has been shown to perform well in recommender systems and other collaborative filtering tasks.

5. Are there any limitations of using the ALS algorithm for optimization?

While the ALS algorithm has many benefits, it also has some limitations. It may not perform well on datasets with a low number of ratings per user or item. It also does not work well when there is a high level of noise or outliers in the data. Additionally, it may not be suitable for all types of optimization problems and may require some modifications for certain applications.