What is the closed form for the sum of binomial coefficients over any interval?

In summary, Buzz and @aaaa202 are discussing ways to find the closed form for the sum of binomial coefficients, where the range of the index variable is not fixed. Buzz suggests looking into the beta function and its relation to the binomial distribution, while also mentioning the possibility of setting up a spreadsheet for convenient calculation. @aaaa202 also suggests finding an upper limit for the sum using the binomial theorem, and provides some additional trivia about the symmetry of binomial coefficients. Ultimately, it is concluded that there is no known closed form for the sum of binomial coefficients with a variable range.
aaaa202
Is there a way to find the following sum in closed form:
∑K(N,n) , where K(N,n) is the binomial coefficient and the sum can extend over any interval from n=0..N. I.e. not necessarily n=0 to N in which case on can just use the binomial theorem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi aaaa:

Technically speaking any specific finite sum is a closed form. So, I am assuming what you want is a close form for the sum when the range on the index variable is not fixed, but also a variable. If I am correct about this, I think you are out of luck. I don't think such a closed form exists.

However, the following Wikipedia article on the beta function may be of some help, although it is somewhat complicated. In particular, you may want to look at the discussion on
the "Cumulative distribution function". My vague memory is that the beta function is related to an approximation for the binomial distribution for large N.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_distribution

Regards,
Buzz

Hi @aaaa202:

I had another thought about your problem. If what you want is a convenient way to calculate a sum of the terms in a binomial sequence,
S(N,i,j) = Σk=i to j K(N,k) ,​
then it is not too difficult to set up a spreadsheet to do this. Is this what you want?

Regards,
Buzz

aaaa202 said:
Is there a way to find the following sum in closed form:
∑K(N,n) , where K(N,n) is the binomial coefficient and the sum can extend over any interval from n=0..N. I.e. not necessarily n=0 to N in which case on can just use the binomial theorem.
Well, we can find an upper limit: [itex]
2^{N}=(1+1)^{N}=\sum_{n=0}^{N}\begin{pmatrix}
N\\
n\\
\end{pmatrix}1^{n}\cdot 1^{N-n}=\sum_{n=0}^{N}\begin{pmatrix}
N\\
n\\
\end{pmatrix}
[/itex]

Svein said:
Well, we can find an upper limit: [itex]
2^{N}=(1+1)^{N}=\sum_{n=0}^{N}\begin{pmatrix}
N\\
n\\
\end{pmatrix}1^{n}\cdot 1^{N-n}=\sum_{n=0}^{N}\begin{pmatrix}
N\\
n\\
\end{pmatrix}
[/itex]
Some additional trivia: [itex]
\begin{pmatrix}
N\\
n\\
\end{pmatrix}
[/itex] is symmetric ([itex]
\begin{pmatrix}
N\\
n\\
\end{pmatrix}=
\begin{pmatrix}
N\\
N-n\\
\end{pmatrix}
[/itex]). Therefore for odd N [itex]
\sum_{n=0}^{\frac{N+1}{2}}\begin{pmatrix}
N\\
n\\
\end{pmatrix}=2^{N-1}
[/itex]. For even N, there is a middle element.

Last edited:

Related to What is the closed form for the sum of binomial coefficients over any interval?

1. What are binomial coefficients?

Binomial coefficients, also known as binomial numbers or combination numbers, are a set of numbers that represent the coefficients of the terms in a binomial expansion. They are used to calculate the number of ways to choose a certain number of objects from a larger set.

2. How are binomial coefficients calculated?

Binomial coefficients are calculated using the formula n choose k, where n represents the total number of objects and k represents the number of objects being chosen. The formula is (n!)/(k!(n-k)!), where ! represents the factorial function. Alternatively, binomial coefficients can also be calculated using Pascal's triangle.

3. What is the purpose of finding the sum of binomial coefficients?

The sum of binomial coefficients can be used in various mathematical and scientific contexts, such as in probability and statistics, combinatorics, and number theory. It can also be used to solve problems involving combinations and permutations.

4. Can the sum of binomial coefficients be simplified?

Yes, the sum of binomial coefficients can be simplified using various methods such as algebraic manipulation, the binomial theorem, or by using specific values for n and k. However, the simplified form will depend on the specific context and application of the sum.

5. What are some real-world applications of binomial coefficients sum?

Binomial coefficients sum can be applied in various fields such as genetics (to calculate the probability of different genetic combinations), engineering (to analyze the number of possible outcomes in a system), and finance (to calculate the number of ways to arrange a portfolio). It is also used in computer science for algorithms and data analysis.