What is the charge for the weak interaction?

In summary: However, they can be described as "neutral" under the weak hypercharge interaction, since they have the same weak charge and opposite sign of weak hypercharge.So it's a combination of third component of weak isospin and hypercharge.Can I ask you, Orodruin, why is Color the charge for the strong force, and not Isospin? I think it's because Isospin is not a gauge symmetry?Isospin is a subgroup of the flavour symmetry. This is not a gauge symmetry. Note that isospin is not the same thing as weak isospin.
Superfluid universe
We have the electric charge for the electromagnetic force, the color charge for the strong force. What is the charge for the weak force?

Thank you. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The SU(2)xU(1) of the electroweak interactions are spontaneously broken. The remaining symmetry is the U(1) of electromagnetic interactions coupling to a particular combination of the third component of weak isospin and hypercharge. The component orthogonal to this combination couples to the Z whereas the Ws couple different components of weak isospin.

Hey, Orodruin. Thanks for replying to me. So the charge from what I am getting is Weak isospin, right?

Superfluid universe said:
Hey, Orodruin. Thanks for replying to me. So the charge from what I am getting is Weak isospin, right?
No. Weak isospin is the SU(2) charge. What is typically called "weak interactions", i.e., interactions mediated by Z and Ws, are not the SU(2) gauge bosons (although the Ws are linear combinations of pure SU(2) gauge bosons). The Z is a linear combination of W3 and the hypercharge gauge bosons.

So it's a combination of third component of weak isospin and hypercharge.

Can I ask you, Orodruin, why is Color the charge for the strong force, and not Isospin? I think it's because Isospin is not a gauge symmetry?

Isospin is a subgroup of the flavour symmetry. This is not a gauge symmetry. Note that isospin is not the same thing as weak isospin.

Likes vanhees71
Superfluid universe said:
We have the electric charge for the electromagnetic force, the color charge for the strong force. What is the charge for the weak force?

Electroweak interaction is actually two interactions, "weak isospin" interaction and "weak hypercharge" interaction, SU(2)*U(1). All "electroweakly interacting" particles have "charges" of one or both of these interactions.

Weak hypercharge interaction is simplest to understand: its structure analogous to electromagnetism. Particles have +/- weak hypercharge (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weak_hypercharge for values). The mediating particle is a single, uncharged B boson.

Weak isospin is more complex. Analogously to SU(3) color interaction with three colors as charges, you can consider weak-isospin-interacting fermions as having two "weak colors": "up" and "down". Thus, left-handed neutrinos are "up" particles, and left-handed electron/muon/tau are "down" particles. Exchange of W+/- change their up/down-ness, similarly how exchange of gluons change color of quarks.
Just like color interaction, it is in fact not this simple: force-carrying particles do not carry a simple weak-isospin charge.

Right-handed fermions are not charged under weak isospin.

Related to What is the charge for the weak interaction?

1. What is the charge for the weak interaction?

The weak interaction is a fundamental force of nature that governs the interactions between subatomic particles, such as electrons and quarks. It is responsible for radioactive decay and plays a key role in the nuclear reactions that power the sun.

2. How does the weak interaction differ from other fundamental forces?

The weak interaction is unique in that it is the only fundamental force that does not conserve particle charge. This means that the charge of a particle can change during a weak interaction, unlike in electromagnetic, strong, and gravitational interactions.

3. What is the charge carrier for the weak interaction?

The charge carrier for the weak interaction is the W and Z bosons. These particles are responsible for carrying the weak force between particles and are similar to the photon, which is the charge carrier for the electromagnetic force.

4. How does the weak interaction affect matter?

The weak interaction is essential for the formation of matter as we know it. It is responsible for the conversion of quarks into protons and neutrons, which make up the nucleus of an atom. Without the weak interaction, the universe would only consist of energy and not the complex structures we see today.

5. Can the weak interaction be manipulated or controlled?

Currently, scientists have not found a way to manipulate or control the weak interaction. However, understanding its properties and mechanisms is crucial for developing advanced technologies and furthering our understanding of the universe.