What is the change in internal energy of the gas?

In summary: It is a poorly worded question.In summary, the first conversation discusses the change in internal energy of an ideal gas when heated from 300K to 350K at a constant volume of 1.25 x 10^-3 m3 with a pressure of 2 atm. The second conversation asks which property of waves remains constant when it enters a new medium, with the correct answer being frequency. The third conversation involves calculating the frequency heard by a stationary observer in front of a train traveling at 40m/s and blowing its whistle at 860Hz, with the correct answer being 769 Hz.
Polo12
1. Cylinder contains 0.1 mol of ideal gas at a pressure of 2 atm and temperature of 300 K. The volume of the cylinder is 1.25 x 10^-3 m3. When the gas is heated from 300K to 350K, what is the change in internal energy of the gas?

--->(I think the equation is Q=delta U + W but I don't know how to proceed from there.)

2. So of all the properties of waves (speed, amplitude, wavelength and frequency) which one is independent of the others?

--> Is it amplitude?

3. A train is blowing its whistle at 860Hz while traveling at a speed of 40m/s. The speed of sound is 340 m/s. What is the frequency heard by a stationary observer in front of the train?

---> I used the equation, f'= f (1/1+ or - Vs/V) and I got 769 Hz as the answer but I'd like to confirm with someone whether I am doing it correctly.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
1. the volume of the cylinder does not change so work is zero. Now you need to know how much heat is required to change the temperature of a gas at constant volume.

2. No. Which property of a wave stays the same when it enters a new medium?

3. Observer in front of the train should hear what, a higher or lower pitch?

Thanks. I worked through the #2 and 3 and I am all set with those two. But I cannot get the first problem right.

To find heat, I used Q=nCp(deltaT)

and with W=0.

then plugged into Q=(delta U) + W.

Is there something that I am doing wrong?

Hope this is not too late, but

Cp is for constant pressure. This cylinder has constant volume. Otherwise, you're fine.

how is amplitude not independant of the other three? when velocity = freq x wavelength

qtp said:
how is amplitude not independant of the other three? when velocity = freq x wavelength
I think the intended answer is indeed amplitude.

I don't really like the original question; this how I saw it:

The wave speed is determined by the medium. If a wave transmits into a new medium, its frequency is what stays the same as the wave speed changes. As a result the wavelength changes to keep the ratio of velocity/wavelength constant.

Simultaneously, the energy of a wave is proportional to the wave speed, the frequency squared and the amplitude squared, so if the wave speed increases, the amplitude must decrease so as not to violate the Law of conservation of energy. The frequency is the only property that stays constant "independant of the other three." I think I was going too far beyond the intent of the question.

Related to What is the change in internal energy of the gas?

1. What is internal energy of a gas?

Internal energy of a gas is the total energy stored within the molecules of the gas, including the kinetic and potential energy of the molecules.

2. How is the change in internal energy of a gas determined?

The change in internal energy of a gas can be determined by calculating the difference between the final internal energy and the initial internal energy of the gas.

3. What factors affect the change in internal energy of a gas?

The change in internal energy of a gas is affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the number of particles present in the gas.

4. What is the relationship between the change in internal energy and the work done on the gas?

The change in internal energy of a gas is equal to the work done on the gas plus the heat added to the gas. This can be represented mathematically as ΔU = W + Q, where ΔU is the change in internal energy, W is the work done on the gas, and Q is the heat added to the gas.

5. How is the change in internal energy of a gas related to the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. The change in internal energy of a gas is a manifestation of this law, as it represents the transfer of energy in the form of work and heat.