What is the Centripetal Acceleration of a Race Car on a Circular Track?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the centripetal acceleration of a race car going around a circular track with a diameter of 1.00 km at a speed of 90.0 km/h. The relevant equation is provided and there is confusion about whether to use the given diameter or find the radius. It is clarified that the radius is half the diameter.
caccers

Homework Statement

I am having difficulty with a problem: A race care goes around a level, circular track with a diameter of 1.00 km at a constant speed of 90.0 km/h. Wha tis the car<s centripetal acceleration in m/s^2?

Homework Equations

Ac=v^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not quite sure if I'm supposed to find the radius of the 1.00 diameter or if I simply use the 1.00 km as my radius in the above equation...?

Physics news on Phys.org
..[tex]a=\frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]

r=radius...so yes you must find the radius(which is half of the diameter!).

Radius is half the diameter.

Related to What is the Centripetal Acceleration of a Race Car on a Circular Track?

What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that an object experiences when moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle.

How is centripetal acceleration calculated?

The formula for calculating centripetal acceleration is a = v^2 / r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

What factors affect centripetal acceleration?

The factors that affect centripetal acceleration include the velocity of the object, the radius of the circular path, and the mass of the object. A larger velocity or smaller radius will result in a larger centripetal acceleration, while a larger mass will result in a smaller centripetal acceleration.

Can centripetal acceleration be negative?

Yes, centripetal acceleration can be negative. This can occur when the velocity and radius of the object are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative value for centripetal acceleration. However, the magnitude of the acceleration will still be the same.

What is the difference between centripetal acceleration and centrifugal force?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that an object experiences when moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force is a fictitious force that appears to push objects away from the center of rotation in a circular motion. Centrifugal force is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to centripetal acceleration.