What is the Center of Mass of the Earth + Satellite System?

In summary, the problem involves finding the distance from the center of the Earth to the center of mass of the Earth-satellite system. The mass and radius of the Earth, as well as the mass and distance of the satellite from the Earth's surface, are given. The center of mass equation is used to solve for the distance, which is found to be negligible compared to the Earth's radius. No corrections are needed and the center of mass is at the center of the Earth.
smpolisetti
This problem is driving me crazy!

Homework Statement

How far from the center of the Earth (in km) is the center of mass of the Earth + satellite system if the satellite has a mass of 2970 kg and is in orbit 42400 km above the surface of the Earth. The mass of the Earth is 5.98*10^24 and the radius of the Earth is 6370

So:
Mass of earth: 5.98*10^24 kg
Mass of satellite: 2960 kg
Distance of satellite from surface of the earth: 42400
Radius of earth: 6370

Homework Equations

Center of mass = (x1m1 + x2m2)/ (m1+m2)
m= mass
x= distance

The Attempt at a Solution

Here was my attempt

I set up center of mass = [(0km (5.98*10^24)) + (2970kg * 42400km) ] / ((5.98*10^24)+2970)

From that I got 2.106*10-17 km

Which I then added to the radius of the Earth to get 6370 km

But that's wrong, what was my mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
smpolisetti said:
I set up center of mass = [(0km (5.98*10^24)) + (2970kg * 42400km) ] / ((5.98*10^24)+2970)

All distances in the problem are being measured relative to the centre of the Earth. So, this distance in red should be the distance between the satellite and the centre of the Earth.

smpolisetti said:
From that I got 2.106*10-17 km

Which I then added to the radius of the Earth to get 6370 km

Why would you do this? :confused: All distances in this problem are referenced to the centre of the Earth. That means that the answer you get from your equation will be the position of the centre of mass relative to the centre of the Earth, which is exactly what you want. No corrections are necessary.

Also, please THINK about your answers and whether they make sense. Use your intuition. If the satellite weren't there, where would the centre of mass of the Earth be? It would be at the centre of the Earth, right? So, is adding a satellite, an object whose mass is negligible compared to the planet, really going to shift the centre of mass very far away from the centre of the planet?

Thanks a ton!

Related to What is the Center of Mass of the Earth + Satellite System?

1. What is the center of mass?

The center of mass is a point in an object or system where the mass is evenly distributed in all directions. It is also known as the center of gravity.

2. How is the center of mass calculated?

The center of mass is calculated by finding the weighted average of the positions of all the individual particles in an object or system. This is done by multiplying the mass of each particle by its distance from a chosen reference point, and then dividing the sum of these products by the total mass of the object or system.

3. Why is the center of mass important?

The center of mass is important because it affects the overall motion and stability of an object or system. It is also used in various physics calculations, such as determining the torque and rotational motion of an object.

4. Can the center of mass be outside of an object?

Yes, the center of mass can be outside of an object if the object has an irregular shape or if there are external forces acting on it. In such cases, the center of mass may not be located within the physical boundaries of the object.

5. How does the center of mass change when objects are combined?

When objects are combined, the center of mass of the new system is determined by taking into account the mass and position of each individual object. The center of mass of the combined system will be closer to the heavier object or the object with a greater distance from the reference point.