What is the cars acceleration, assuming forward is positive?

In summary, the car's acceleration is 1.11 m/s and the force of friction acting on the wheels is 1.11 N.
cyks07
today is my first day here so if i violate any rule that apply in this forum please forgive me..

the question is

Dr. Silverstein is driving a 1.95 * 10^3 kg car at 55.0Km/hr. He slams on the brakes and comes to rest in a distance of 17.0 m Assume that Dr. Silverstein has a mass of 75.0 kg

a) what is the cars acceleration, assuming forward is positive?

b) what is the force of friction acting on the wheels of the car? ( hint, what is the mass that is being stopped?)

c) Assuming Dr.Silverstein is well buckled in, what is the force that his seat belt exerts on him?

these three questions i don't understand...my professor give homework pretty easy questions..but not these..please help me
thank you in advance..

Physics news on Phys.org
cyks07 said:
today is my first day here so if i violate any rule that apply in this forum please forgive me..

the question is

Dr. Silverstein is driving a 1.95 * 10^3 kg car at 55.0Km/hr. He slams on the brakes and comes to rest in a distance of 17.0 m Assume that Dr. Silverstein has a mass of 75.0 kg

a) what is the cars acceleration, assuming forward is positive?
What is the car's average speed (vavg) after the brakes are applied? (it starts at 55 km/hr and ends up at 0 after constant deceleration)

Use [itex]a = \Delta v/\Delta t[/itex]. To find [itex]\Delta t[/itex] use [itex]d = v_{avg}\Delta t \rightarrow \Delta t = d/v_{avg} [/itex]

Work that out and then see if you can do the last two parts (using F=ma)

AM

Last edited:
thank you for the help..but i need more easier explanation please..i'm sorry I'm not good at physics..i'm looking at the book about similar problem..still can't get it..
can understand concept of that formula you gave me..i pluged in the
55.0 = 17/x so..i got x = 3.23 and I'm not sure I'm going right direction

Last edited:
Since Andrew is offline I will just chip in with a few things I see that might help, cyks07.

Firstly, cyks07, you should use the terms [tex]\Delta t[/tex] and [tex]\Delta v[/tex] so that you can easily know what you are working with, it looks like you were using x, which could confuse you if you aren't careful, just a tip. You said you were not very good at physics and simple things like that can help.

You can use the equation [tex]v_{f}^{2}=v_{i}^{2}+2a\Delta d[/tex] to find the acceleration, simply plug in the final and initial velocities which you already know and solve for a. THis answers your first question.

For question b, what is the force required to cause a negative acceleration that will stop him in 17.0m? Tell me if you can't get the answer and I will be glad to help. Try to figure it out on your own though. The best way to get good at physics is to do lots of physics problems, trust me.

Remember, [tex]F=m\vec a[/tex]

thank you for the advise..i'm trying to solve many problem but i get scared when i see those symbols.. :(
anyway.. first i tried convert 55 km/hr to m/s
so i got 15.3 m/s so i divided that 15.3 m/s from the 17 m and i got 1.11m/s... i don't know what i am doing..but i what i think the acceleration
- 1.11 m/s
please reply..what i am doing it wrong

give me a minute to work through the problem so that I know that I am doing it properly and I will be better able to help you out, one sec.

ok..thank you for your help checkfate...

cyks07, I think your math is where your problems lie. You will get better at it but you need to practice, you need to want to get better at it. I will gladly help you solve this problem, but I think that it would be beneficial for you to go over some algebra.http://www.wtamu.edu/academic/anns/mps/math/mathlab/beg_algebra/ Here is a website that will give you the basics.

You might also find http://www.learner.org/resources/series66.html handy, simply register and watch the movies.

Anyways, onto your question! Okay so, we want to take [tex]v_{f}^{2}=v_{i}^{2}+2a\Delta d[/tex] and solve for a, so that we know the acceleration and can get full marks for question a) .

So, we do this.

EVERY PROBLEM for now, you should find out what you know. We know that the initial velocity is 55.0km/h=15.3m/s. We know that the final velocity = 0m/s. We also know that the displacement is 17.0m SO

[tex]v_{i}=15.3m/s[/tex]
[tex]v_{f}=0m/s[/tex]
[tex]\Delta d=17.0m[/tex]

[tex]v_{f}^{2}=v_{i}^{2}+2a\Delta d[/tex]
[tex](0m/s)^{2}=(15.3m/s)^{2}+2a(17.0m)[/tex] ( simply plugging in the known values )
[tex]-234.09m^{2}/s^{2}=2a(17.0m)[/tex] (squaring the initial velocity and moving it to the left hand side, the final velocity of 0m/s disappears)
[tex]a=\frac{-234.09m^{2}/s^{2}}{2(17.0m)}[/tex] (simply isolating a so we can solve for it)
[tex]a=-6.89m/s^{2}[/tex]

If you want to get good at physics, you need to know math, physics is built on math! It doesn't take that long to learn if you are dedicated, but trust me, it's fun once you know it! I swear! I am not some 40 year old parent telling you this, I am 19. lol

For question b, find out what force is required to make a car of that mass accelerate at the rate we found here, using the f=ma formula above.

Last edited:
learn to carry your units with you in your equations so you know that you have the right units at the end of it, too. Trust me, you'll learn quick if you try :)

i really appreciate about your help checkfate..hm.also i kinda confuse which formula should i use for certain problem..i guess i have to keep practice.. thank u again..now I'm trying other two questions. :)
also i checked two website link that you posted..its good website :)

Last edited:
No prob, https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=110015 was put together with Doc Al and others, it has a lot of good equations. Every question you come across, simply list the variables you know and the variable you need to know, then look for an equation that has all those variables in it and no others. You'll get it, cya around.

Related to What is the cars acceleration, assuming forward is positive?

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the time it took for that change to occur. The formula for acceleration is: a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What does it mean when acceleration is positive?

A positive acceleration means that the object is speeding up in the positive direction. This could mean that the object is moving faster, or that it is changing direction to move in the positive direction.

4. What does it mean when acceleration is negative?

A negative acceleration means that the object is slowing down in the positive direction, or speeding up in the negative direction. This could mean that the object is decelerating, changing direction to move in the negative direction, or moving in the negative direction at an increasing speed.

5. How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration can affect an object's motion in various ways. If an object is accelerating, its velocity will change over time, meaning it will either speed up or slow down. This can also cause a change in direction of the object's motion. In general, the greater the acceleration, the more drastic the change in motion will be.