What is the Cardinality of Sets X, Y, and A, B, C?

In summary, the cardinality of set A is 10, the cardinality of set B is 48, and the cardinality of set C is 12. The '|' symbol in set C represents a condition or rule for the elements in the set. The sets are solved by applying the rules and principles of set theory, such as the Cartesian product and the concept of modulus.
Aeonitis
Hey guys, this is my first post, (Hi) was just wondering if i could get your help. I'm studying for my repeats and you guys can save me.

If X = {1,2,3,4}, Y = {2,4,6} what is the cardinality of the following sets?

(i) A = {x|x mod 2 = 0 and 0 <=x<=20}
(ii) B = X * X * Y
(iii) C = {(x,y)|x ≠ y and x,y ∈ X}

Please explain your train of thought in solving this. I am trying hard to understand the right way to approach this question quickly, Thank you for your time guys...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've tried them out, with the following answers:-

(i) A = {2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18,20}, Therefore A has a cardinality of 10 (elements).
(ii) B = Cartesian Product of 'X times X times Y' or better yet '4 by 4 by 3' elements each to give a total of 48 in cardinality?!
(iii) C = UNSOLVED!

I want to make sure someone agrees with me having the right answers since you're the pros

I really want to know what the '|' symbol stands for or means, as in 'x|x'. Hard to specifically search for in a book.

Figured it out. I will post the full answer for future questioneers

(i) A = {2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18,20}, Therefore A has a cardinality of 10 (elements).
(ii) B = Cartesian Product of 'X times X times Y' or better yet '4 by 4 by 3' elements each to give a total of 48 in cardinality?!

(iii) C = {(x,y)|x ≠ y and x,y ∈ X}

pairs x,y {such as (1,1),(1,2),etc...} drawn from set X with a cardinality of '4 by 4 = 16' as in the question "x,y ∈ X". Due to the statement 'x ≠ y' pairs can't come in equals, discarding the following four sets (1,1),(2,2),(3,3),(4,4). The end product is 16-4 giving a cardinality of 12 for set 'C'.

How much is 0 (mod 2)? In the set A, the possible values of x include 0, don't they? Anyway, I'm sure you remember that any number that is 0(mod2) is even and vice-versa.

Yes i do, and thanks for pointing that out in any case, it's always the little things that count >_<

C has the cardinality|X*X| - |x|.

Because for every x in X, there is a pair (x,x), which are exactly the ones not in {(x,y) : x != y /\ x,y in X}

Related to What is the Cardinality of Sets X, Y, and A, B, C?

1. What is a set?

A set is a collection of distinct and well-defined objects, called elements, that are considered as a single entity.

2. What is the cardinality of a set?

The cardinality of a set is the number of elements in the set. It is also known as the size or the order of the set.

3. How is the cardinality of a set denoted?

The cardinality of a set is denoted by the symbol "n" or by enclosing the set in vertical bars, such as |A|, where A is the set.

4. What is the difference between finite and infinite sets?

A finite set is a set that has a definite and countable number of elements, while an infinite set has an uncountable number of elements.

5. How do you determine the cardinality of a set?

To determine the cardinality of a set, you count the number of elements in the set. If the set is finite, you can count the elements directly. If the set is infinite, you can use different methods such as bijection, one-to-one correspondence, or Cantor's diagonal argument to determine its cardinality.