What is the capacitance of the two metal spheres

In summary, the two metal spheres in the figure have a capacitance of 2E-8 and a voltage difference of 100V. The charge used for Q is given in the problem and will either be symmetric or singular. In this case, the charge used is 20nC.
hover

Homework Statement

What is the capacitance of the two metal spheres shown in the figure ?

sphere one has 20nC of charge and the other has -20nC of charge. The change in voltage is 100V

Homework Equations

C=Q/(change in V)

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is how do yo determine what charge to put in for Q?

Physics news on Phys.org

hover said:

Homework Statement

What is the capacitance of the two metal spheres shown in the figure ?

sphere one has 20nC of charge and the other has -20nC of charge. The change in voltage is 100V

Homework Equations

C=Q/(change in V)

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is how do yo determine what charge to put in for Q?

It's given.

xcvxcvvc said:
It's given.

but the thing is how would I know to use 20nC or -20nC? What if you had 2 charges that were something like -30nC and 20nC? How do you know what Q to choose?

hover said:
but the thing is how would I know to use 20nC or -20nC? What if you had 2 charges that were something like -30nC and 20nC? How do you know what Q to choose?

you will never be given a problem like that. the charge when dealing with capacitance will be symmetric if two values are given or it will be singular(where such an ambiguity is impossible)

So i assume then that the answer here is just 2E-8/100 then

hover said:
So i assume then that the answer here is just 2E-8/100 then

assumed correct.

xcvxcvvc said:
assumed correct.

Correct

thanks

Related to What is the capacitance of the two metal spheres

What is the capacitance of the two metal spheres?

The capacitance of the two metal spheres refers to the ability of the two spheres to hold electrical charge when a potential difference is applied between them. It is a measure of the amount of charge that can be stored on the spheres for a given potential difference.

How is the capacitance of the two metal spheres calculated?

The capacitance of the two metal spheres can be calculated using the formula C = 4πε0(ab)/(a+b), where C is the capacitance, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, a and b are the radii of the two spheres.

What factors affect the capacitance of the two metal spheres?

The capacitance of the two metal spheres is affected by the distance between the spheres, the size and shape of the spheres, and the material of the spheres. It is also affected by the dielectric material between the spheres, if present.

Why is the capacitance of the two metal spheres important?

The capacitance of the two metal spheres is important because it is a key factor in determining the strength of the electric field between the spheres. It also plays a role in various applications such as capacitors in electronic circuits, energy storage devices, and high voltage transmission lines.

How can the capacitance of the two metal spheres be measured?

The capacitance of the two metal spheres can be measured using a capacitance meter or by using a known voltage and measuring the charge on the spheres. It can also be calculated by measuring the potential difference between the spheres and the amount of charge stored on them.