What is the caliber trinity and how does it impact ballistics?

• Thread starter Aqeous
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impact
In summary, the caliber trinity is a theory that requires math in order to be represented mathematically. The theory states that what actually makes a bullet the most effective is a combination of three independent factors: bullet diameter, its velocity upon impact, and its weight. The theory is based on what happens when a bullet hits something, and it is based on data that is unsubstantiated by macho bravado. The theory requires that someone here can represent it mathematically, and if somebody can do so, they may make a small bit of ballistics history.
Aqeous
Help! Bullets And Impact Math!

Hi there. I will introduce myself as an aspiring mind. However though my study skills are well developed, my advanced math skill are sadly lacking . . .:smile:

Here is the thing, I have developed a passion for the study ballistics. And after sometime I have developed a theory, a theory that requires math, and so I have come here . . .

If you visit a gun forum, you will find all kinds of macho bravado that we like to call the "caliber war". Basically it is all unsubstantiated myth backed up by very little data. Basically it goes like this "Big gun . . . huge bullet COOL MAN!" :rolleyes: what a load of bunk . . . seriously it is very annoying. In reality it is all about the science NOT the bravado.

The theory goes like this: What ACTUALLY makes a bullet the most effective is a combination of three independent factors. 1.) bullet diameter (or caliber) 2.) its velocity upon impact. and 3.) It's weight. Now without getting all gross about what happens when a bullet hits something, there are two things that end up happening: 1.) a permanent cavity is formed (called the crush cavity--this is the actual hole itself that it makes) and 2.) a Temporary crush cavity (this is the temporary expansion imparted upon a "fluid-like" medium by a high velocity projectile.) THIS temporary cavity is why I have come to this forum . . .

Here is what I kneed to know.

Specifically, what is the overall energy in Newtons, psi, (whatever) of this "shock wave" depending on the diameter of the projectile, its velocity and it mass? I just can't do this on my own, but I think that someone here can :wink: I am calling it the caliber trinity . . . and if my hypothesis can represented mathematically we might just be able to make a small bit of ballistics history.

Here is the list: Keep in mind that these are EXPANDING BULLETS so the diameter is the final expansion in inches not the actual bullet caliber. If you can tell me the force of each individual shock wave that each of these loads can generate I would literally be ecstatic. IF it can be done I will add a second list. But I think I have come to the right place . . . dazzle me :approve:

(Note that: 1.) weight of bullet is measured in grains (not sure what the conversion is) 2.) velocity is in FPS 3.) penetration in inches is in a ballistics gelatin medium designed to mimic living tissue and 4.) DIAMETER of bullet upon entering the medium in inches.

DoubleTap 9mm+P
115gr. Gold Dot JHP @ 1415fps - 12.00" / .70"
124gr. Gold Dot JHP @ 1310fps - 13.25" / .70"
147gr. Gold Dot JHP @ 1125fps - 14.00" / .66"

DoubleTap .40 S&W
135gr. Nosler JHP @ 1375fps - 12.10" / .72"
155gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1275fps - 13.00" / .76"
165gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1200fps - 14.0" / .70"
180gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1100fps - 14.75" / .68"
200gr XTP @ 1050fps - 17.75" / .59"DoubleTap .357 Sig
115gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1550fps - 12.25" / .71"
125gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1450fps - 14.5" / .66"
147gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1250fps - 14.75" / .73"

DoubleTap .357 Magnum
125gr. Gold Dot JHP @ 1600fps - 12.75" / .69"
158gr. Gold Dot JHP @ 1400fps - 19.0" .56"DoubleTap .45ACP
185gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1225fps - 12.75" / .82"
200gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1125fps - 14.25" / .88"
230gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1010fps - 15.25" / .95"

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Although I have nothing constructive to add I'll bet my money that someone has already done this study and found more what your looking for.

Been out of town, I will post again in about two days. Thanks for the links I will try to go over them as much as possible while I'm ruining around.

Response to Bystander: the link you provided is an excellent link. I have had it down loaded to my computer for sometime and have read it in full. Thanks though . . .

Response to Baseplayer142: Not this . . . their are many studies of ballistics. But no where have I found any data even remotely close to what I am looking for. If anyone has knowledge of such data feel free to post it. The link provided by bystander is about as close as you will come, but that particular study only involves a single sphere, of a single size, of a single weight . . . one single time. (sorry about my spelling I am typing really fast) There is no comparison for different size spheres, possessing different weights at different velocities (not to mention the actual force involved with the shockwave (temporary cavity) w Which is what I am looking for.

Last edited:

Related to What is the caliber trinity and how does it impact ballistics?

What is "Help Bullets And Impact Math"?

"Help Bullets And Impact Math" is a program that aims to improve students' math skills by using a combination of interactive lessons and real-life examples. It focuses on making math more engaging and relatable for students.

Who is the target audience for "Help Bullets And Impact Math"?

The target audience for "Help Bullets And Impact Math" is students in primary and secondary education. It can also benefit students who are struggling with math or those who want to improve their math skills.

How does "Help Bullets And Impact Math" improve math skills?

"Help Bullets And Impact Math" uses interactive lessons and real-life examples to make math more engaging and relatable for students. This approach helps students understand mathematical concepts better and apply them in practical situations.

What makes "Help Bullets And Impact Math" different from other math programs?

Unlike traditional math programs, "Help Bullets And Impact Math" focuses on making math more engaging and relatable for students. It uses real-life examples to teach math concepts, making it easier for students to understand and apply them.

What are the benefits of using "Help Bullets And Impact Math"?

"Help Bullets And Impact Math" has several benefits, including improving math skills, increasing student engagement and motivation, and making math more relatable and applicable to real-life situations. It also helps students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

Back