What is the calculation for effective nuclear charge using Slater's Rules?

In summary, the effective nuclear charge of an atom decreases down the group from the most electronegative element to the least electronegative element.
Yh Hoo
I have come across the Slater's Rules that is used to calculate the numerical value of effective nuclear charge of elements.
Can somebody please show to me the calculation of effective nuclear charge of atoms of element down the group 2 by using the Slater's rule??
I calculate by using the information from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slater's_rules.
many books mention that increment in atomic radius down the group 2 is caused by the decreasing effective nuclear charge. is it true? Thanks for your help and i really need all your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly, I am not sure that Slater's rules as presented in the wikipedia article are a correct interpretation. However , let us suppose that they are.

I calculate effective nuclear charges of 1.95, 2.85, 2.85, 2.85, and 2.85 for Be, Mg, Ca, Sr, and Ba respectively.

The increase in atomic radius is not the result of a decreasing effective nuclear charge. It is mostly the result of an increasing principal quantum number for the outermost electrons, and the increase in atomic radius is lessened by the increasing effective nuclear charge.

Last edited:
JohnRC said:
I calculate effective nuclear charges of 1.95, 2.85, 2.85, 2.85, and 2.85 for Be, Mg, Ca, Sr, and Ba respectively.

I calculated the same thing also. If our calculation are correct ,that means the effective nuclear charge is increasing and then go to constant. But many books wrote that the effective nuclear charge is decreasing down the group.
Or could you please share with me your knowledge and understanding on Slater's rule ?? Thanks a lot.

Slater's rules were designed for the specific purpose of trying to calculate molecular structures and chemical bonds in a simplistic model where only valence electrons were considered, with single electron wave functions, and "hydrogen-like orbitals" -- that is,

psi(3px) = x * exp(-alpha*r) rather than the truly hydrogen-like (b – x) * exp(-alpha*r)

They were also "tuned" for energy -- ionization potentials and bond strengths -- rather than atom size.

There is another method that is used for obtaining effective nuclear charge. It involves a close examination of the atomic spectrum of an element and identifying particular groups of lines as "Rydberg series". If this method is used, you can arrive at a significantly different pattern for effective nuclear charge.

Related to What is the calculation for effective nuclear charge using Slater's Rules?

What is Effective Nuclear Charge?

Effective Nuclear Charge (Zeff) is a measure of the attractive force experienced by an electron in an atom's outermost energy level. It takes into account the number of protons in the nucleus as well as the shielding effect of inner electrons.

How is Effective Nuclear Charge calculated?

Effective Nuclear Charge is calculated by subtracting the number of shielding electrons from the number of protons in the nucleus. The shielding electrons are determined by the number of energy levels between the outermost electron and the nucleus.

Why is Effective Nuclear Charge important?

Effective Nuclear Charge is important because it determines the energy required to remove an electron from an atom, also known as ionization energy. It also affects the size of an atom, as a higher Zeff results in a smaller atomic radius.

How does Effective Nuclear Charge vary across the periodic table?

Effective Nuclear Charge increases from left to right across a period in the periodic table, as the number of protons increases. It also increases from top to bottom within a group due to the addition of new energy levels.

What is the relationship between Effective Nuclear Charge and electronegativity?

There is a direct relationship between Effective Nuclear Charge and electronegativity. As Zeff increases, the attractive force on electrons also increases, making it more difficult for them to be shared in a chemical bond. This leads to higher electronegativity values.