What is the boat's speed after an additional 2.6 seconds have elapsed?

In summary, the speedboat starts from rest and reaches a speed of 3.4 m/s in 1.8 seconds with an acceleration of 1.889 m/s/s. After an additional 2.6 seconds has elapsed, the boat's speed can be calculated by multiplying the elapsed time (4.4 seconds) by the acceleration (1.889 m/s/s), resulting in a final speed of 8.31 m/s.
Kildars
Starting from rest, a speedboat reaches a speed of 3.4 m/s in 1.8 s. What is the boat's speed after an additional 2.6 s has elapsed, assuming the boat's acceleration remains the same?

I have tried finding the velocity for the first 1.8 seconds

[tex]v = v_0 + a t[/tex]

3.4 = 0 + a(1.8)

3.4 / 1.8

a = 1.889

Then tried finding the final velocity assuming it was the same, but using 3.4 as the initial velocity..

v = 3.4 + (1.8)(3.6)

Didn't work.

I also tried v = (1.8)(4.4) adding the total time together, and using v0 as 0.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kildars said:

v = 3.4 + (1.8)(3.6)

Didn't work.

It's v = 3.4 + 1.8*2.6

radou said:
It's v = 3.4 + 1.8*2.6

Yeah that's a typo on my part, I meant to type 2.6

The velocity still comes out to 8.08 and that is incorrect.

Well, I get 8.31 s, and if that is not the answer, then Houston, we have a problem...

civil_dude said:
Well, I get 8.31 s, and if that is not the answer, then Houston, we have a problem...

How do you get 8.31?

I always use 3 significant figures, 3.4/1.8 = a =1.889, not 1.8, then round to 2 at the end.

So, (1.8 + 2.6)s is the elapsed time which equals 4.40s. Then, you multiply that by 1.889m/s/s to get 8.31m/s.

Last edited:
civil_dude said:
I always use 3 significant figures, 3.4/1.8 = a =1.889, not 1.8, then round to 2 at the end.

So, (1.8 + 2.6)s is the elapsed time which equals 4.40s. Then, you multiply that by 1.889m/s/s to get 8.31m/s.

I guess that was my problem, wasnt doing enough figures.

Related to What is the boat's speed after an additional 2.6 seconds have elapsed?

1. What is acceleration in 1-dimensional kinematics?

Acceleration in 1-dimensional kinematics is the rate of change of velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. In simpler terms, it is how fast an object's velocity is changing.

2. How is acceleration calculated in 1-dimensional kinematics?

To calculate acceleration in 1-dimensional kinematics, you divide the change in velocity by the change in time. The equation for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. How does acceleration affect an object's motion in 1-dimensional kinematics?

Acceleration affects an object's motion in 1-dimensional kinematics by changing its velocity. If the acceleration is in the same direction as the velocity, the object will speed up. If the acceleration is in the opposite direction, the object will slow down. If the acceleration is perpendicular to the velocity, the object will change direction.

4. What are some real-life examples of acceleration in 1-dimensional kinematics?

Some real-life examples of acceleration in 1-dimensional kinematics include a car accelerating from 0 to 60 miles per hour in a straight line, a roller coaster accelerating down a hill, and a person jumping off a diving board and accelerating towards the water.

5. How does acceleration differ from velocity in 1-dimensional kinematics?

Acceleration and velocity are both related to an object's motion in 1-dimensional kinematics, but they are not the same. Velocity is the measure of an object's speed and direction, while acceleration is the measure of how much an object's velocity is changing. In other words, velocity tells us how fast an object is moving, while acceleration tells us how quickly the object's velocity is changing.