What is the best way to approach tutoring and prepare materials for students?

• Thread starter JasonJo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tutor
In summary: College professors often post their syllabi online, too. I tutor high school students. Do you tutor multiple students at one time?I usually tutor one student at a time. Are they from the same school, class, teacher?No, they're not from the same school, class, or teacher.
JasonJo
How do I

1) Stay in sync with the material when I don't own a copy of their textbook? I don't think I can purchase their textbook and photocopies I don't think are a good option. I don't want it to be, we meet and then we discuss what they are confused on. I would likes some degree of structure and preparation to be involved.

Are Schaum's outlines good for this purpose?

2) What is a good source of challenging but reasonable problems for precalculus? One of my students is in an honors precalc course and he seems to do fine except for 1 or 2 questions that are a bit trickier.

3) From your experiences, is it my duty to make the student study? My boss told me that this is part of my job, but I think it's ridiculous to even think I have the ability to make a student study. They are going to do whatever they are going to do. I think the only effect I have on him is by prepping good material, good quizzes and good practice problems. I got into a big fight over this.

4) Is it easier to post my own tutoring ads at a local university or around town? I don't like being responsible for a student's grade but not being able to do things my own way.

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Ive been lucky and most of the kids i tutor use the same textbooks, which happen to be the ones i used when i was in high school which does help a lot since i know the texts well, but there are a few who use unfamiliar texts. In those cases i usually ask them to give me a copy of their course outline which goes over the material they will cover during the year, in the order that it will be covered, which allows me to read up on anything that i may be unfamiliar with.

JasonJo said:
How do I

1) Stay in sync with the material when I don't own a copy of their textbook? I don't think I can purchase their textbook and photocopies I don't think are a good option. I don't want it to be, we meet and then we discuss what they are confused on. I would likes some degree of structure and preparation to be involved.
Get a list of the topics they are learning, for example, a reading list and syllabus for the course or schedule of lectures. This will help you know what material they are covering. You might be able to get a copy of the textbook from a library just to peruse the depth of content. Not all classes follow the textbook anyway, so you really need to see their course schedule/reading list anyway.

3) From your experiences, is it my duty to make the student study? My boss told me that this is part of my job, but I think it's ridiculous to even think I have the ability to make a student study. They are going to do whatever they are going to do. I think the only effect I have on him is by prepping good material, good quizzes and good practice problems. I got into a big fight over this.
The time spent with a tutor IS studying, so yes, you're getting them to study by having them show up. It's more than just giving them practice problems and quizzes. You should be helping them with their study skills. No, you can't then force them to use them, but you can at least give them the tools. Students struggling in a course often just don't know how to study well, and it's not for lack of time spent trying. Probe them with questions, show them how to connect concepts from one lecture to another. Those are study skills a tutor should be helping with.

In fact, many students don't even know how to use a practice test well. They look at it, guess an answer, then look up the right answer and find out why it was the right answer. They need to take two more steps, at minimum, to use that practice test effectively. First, they need to look up why the wrong answers were wrong. Second, they need to revisit all of the material surrounding the correct answer to better understand it and figure out why they didn't know that answer.

What age group do you tutor? High school or college? Do you tutor multiple students at one time? Are they from the same school, class, teacher?

Now days, public school teachers often have a teaching webpage that lists what their students are studying in class and associated assignments. That should give you some foresight if it applies to your situation.

Related to What is the best way to approach tutoring and prepare materials for students?

What are the key qualities of a successful tutor?

Some key qualities of a successful tutor include strong communication skills, patience, adaptability, subject knowledge, and the ability to build a rapport with students. Tutors should also be organized and have the ability to develop effective lesson plans and teaching strategies tailored to each individual student's needs.

What strategies can I use to engage my students during tutoring sessions?

One effective strategy is to use real-world examples and hands-on activities to make the material more relatable and interesting for students. Another strategy is to incorporate interactive elements such as games, quizzes, or group work to keep students actively engaged in the learning process. Additionally, providing positive reinforcement and offering praise for students' efforts can help motivate them to stay engaged and continue improving.

How can I effectively assess my students' progress as a tutor?

Regularly checking in with students and asking for their feedback can help you gauge their understanding and progress. You can also use quizzes, practice problems, and other evaluation methods to assess their knowledge and identify areas where they may need additional support. Additionally, tracking their grades and performance on assignments can provide valuable insights into their progress.

What should I do if a student is struggling with a particular subject or concept?

If a student is struggling with a particular subject or concept, it is important to first identify the root of their difficulty. This could be due to a knowledge gap, a learning disability, or simply a lack of interest. Once you understand the issue, you can tailor your teaching approach and provide additional resources or support to help the student improve. You can also collaborate with their teacher or seek advice from other educators for further guidance.

How can I continue to improve as a tutor?

To continue improving as a tutor, it is important to actively seek feedback from students and other educators. Reflecting on your teaching methods and adapting them based on the needs of your students is also crucial. Additionally, staying up-to-date with current teaching strategies and continuously expanding your knowledge in your subject area can help you become a more effective tutor.