What is the best structure for po4 -3

• Thread starter rashida564
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Structure
In summary, some sources suggest that the stable Lewis structure for phosphate (PO_{4}^{3-}) has one double bond and three single bonds, while others indicate that all bonds are single. However, according to quantum mechanics and the theory of delocalized electrons, the most stable structure is one with all single bonds and an over-octet structure for the central atom. In gas phase, phosphate ions are not stable and the negative charges are stabilized by solvent or counter ions. Additionally, some sources picture the structure as one double bond and three single bonds, but this is not the most accurate representation. The central atom can also have a charge, but this is not as significant in determining stability as the bond types.
rashida564
i think it should have double bond with o

Chemistry news on Phys.org
rashida564 said:
i think it should have double bond with o
What in particular makes you think that?

because it is better to have the central atom to be natural so i should make one double bond and the other is single bond

The only stable phosphorus oxides are [itex] P_4 O_6 [/itex] and [itex] P_4 O_{10} [/itex]. [itex] P_4 O_3[/itex] doesn't exist.

i don't say p4o3 i mean Phosphate and i want to know that is the stable lewis structure becouse some book make all the bond are single and some book make one double bond and the other is single bond

rashida564 said:
i don't say p4o3 i mean Phosphate and i want to know that is the stable lewis structure becouse some book make all the bond are single and some book make one double bond and the other is single bond

O
|
Oh, so you mean [itex] PO_{4}^{3-} [/itex]. The Lewis structure is O=P-O with over-octet structure for P. If quantum mechanics is brought into picture, one can follow Pauling's theory of delocalized electrons, mesomeric/resonant structures.

All bonds are single bonds. The negative charges are stabilized by either the solvent or counter ions. In gas phase, phosphate ions aren't stable.

All bonds are single bonds. The negative charges are stabilized by either the solvent or counter ions. In gas phase, phosphate ions aren't stable.

This is nearly always pictured as one double bond ≡P=O with three single bonds P-O-, you won't go very far without meeting it.

i don't know quantum mechanics so can anyone help me what is the most stable lewis and can central atom have charge

Related to What is the best structure for po4 -3

1. What are the different structures of PO4 -3?

There are two main structures of PO4 -3: tetrahedral and trigonal pyramidal. The tetrahedral structure is the most common and stable, with all four oxygen atoms bonded to the central phosphorus atom at equal distances. The trigonal pyramidal structure has three oxygen atoms bonded to the central phosphorus atom, with a lone pair of electrons on the fourth oxygen atom.

2. Which structure is the most stable for PO4 -3?

The tetrahedral structure is the most stable for PO4 -3. This is because it allows for maximum bonding between the central phosphorus atom and the four oxygen atoms, leading to a lower overall energy state.

3. How does the structure of PO4 -3 affect its reactivity?

The structure of PO4 -3 affects its reactivity by influencing how easily it can bond with other molecules. The tetrahedral structure of PO4 -3 makes it less reactive compared to the trigonal pyramidal structure, as the bonds in the tetrahedral structure are more stable and less likely to break.

4. Can the structure of PO4 -3 change?

Yes, the structure of PO4 -3 can change. This can occur through chemical reactions or under certain conditions such as high pressure or temperature. For example, the tetrahedral structure of PO4 -3 can be converted into a trigonal pyramidal structure by applying high pressure.

5. How does the structure of PO4 -3 affect its physical properties?

The structure of PO4 -3 affects its physical properties in terms of its shape, size, and polarity. The tetrahedral structure of PO4 -3 makes it a symmetrical molecule, which leads to a nonpolar overall charge. This results in a higher melting and boiling point, as well as low solubility in polar solvents.