What is the best source for COBE/WMAP/PLANCK mission data on the early universe?

• I
  • Thread starter RJLiberator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Data
In summary, the speaker has a tool that can assess data in latitude/longitude/"data" format for clustering or patterns. They are interested in using this tool to analyze COBE/WMAP/PLANCK data on the early universe, inspired by a lecture and an image from WMAP data. The speaker is having trouble finding the data they need on the COBE website and is asking for help from the conversation partner. The conversation partner suggests using the FIRAS CMB temperature map in .fits format and extracting the data with pyfits. The speaker will work on formatting the data from this link.
RJLiberator
Gold Member
I have a tool that assesses data in latitude/longitude/"data" format as to whether the data is clustered or if there is a pattern and to what scale.

I would like to assess some of the COBE/WMAP/PLANCK data regarding the very early universe.

I got this idea after being in lecture and an image like this came up:

https://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/media/121238/index.html

This is the all-sky picture of the infant universe created from WMAP data. It is the old temperature fluctuations. My tool can be ran over this as the data was made to be LAT/LONG/"Data" format (since they made this image).

However, I am looking at https://lambda.gsfc.nasa.gov/product/cobe/
and through the various data screens, I can't seem to find any data that fits what I am looking for.

So I am here to ask if you guys know of any data or are better versed in finding the data from the COBE/WMAP/PLANCK missions.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I think what you want is this FIRAS CMB temperature map. Download the .fits file and use pyfits to extract the data. It will take some work to massage it into the format you need.

Likes RJLiberator
Thanks for getting back to me on this. Sorry it took so long for me to respond, this is a bit of a side project. I'll try to massage the data from this link.

1. What is the purpose of the COBE/WMAP/Planck Mission Data?

The COBE/WMAP/Planck Mission Data is a collection of data gathered by three different missions, named COBE, WMAP, and Planck, with the goal of studying the cosmic microwave background (CMB) radiation. This data is used to study the early universe, as well as the structure and evolution of the universe as a whole.

2. What is the significance of the COBE/WMAP/Planck Mission Data?

The COBE/WMAP/Planck Mission Data has been crucial in advancing our understanding of the universe. It has provided evidence for the Big Bang theory, confirmed the existence of dark matter and dark energy, and helped to determine the age, composition, and geometry of the universe.

3. How was the COBE/WMAP/Planck Mission Data collected?

The COBE mission (launched in 1989) and the WMAP mission (launched in 2001) used satellites equipped with specialized instruments to map the CMB radiation. The Planck mission (launched in 2009) used a more advanced satellite and instruments to map the CMB in even greater detail.

4. What does the COBE/WMAP/Planck Mission Data tell us about the early universe?

The COBE/WMAP/Planck Mission Data has revealed important information about the early universe, such as the temperature of the CMB, which is a remnant of the hot, dense state of the universe shortly after the Big Bang. It also provides evidence for the inflationary theory, which explains the rapid expansion of the universe in its early stages.

5. How is the COBE/WMAP/Planck Mission Data used by scientists?

Scientists use the COBE/WMAP/Planck Mission Data to analyze and study the CMB radiation in order to better understand the properties and evolution of the universe. This data is also used to test and refine cosmological models and theories, and to make predictions about the future of the universe.