What is the best material to use to cut galvanized sheet metal?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the selection of material for a blade in a cutting machine that will be used to cut galvanized sheet metal. The type of cutting (slice or saw), whether it is a hand or power tool, and the cutting process (continuous or cyclic) are all being considered. The longevity and maintenance requirements also play a role in the choice of blade material. The conversation then shifts to the design of the cutting equipment and the possibility of automation in the future. The engineers suggest considering the base metal and expected duty of the machine when selecting the blade material. Options such as carbon steel, tool steel, cobalt tool steel, and carbide inserts are mentioned. The conversation ends with a link to a forum post discussing the
eng_taha_a
hello every one
can you help me in selecting the material to be used in the blade of cutting machine which will be used to cut galvanized sheet metal

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Will the blade slice or saw? I'm thinking linear or circular.

Is is a hand tool or a power tool?

Is the cutting continuous or cyclic?

Are you designing a cutting tool, or selecting a tool to buy?

What are your requirements on longevity and maintenance?

The more specific your question, the better quality answer we can give you.

the tool will be manual now , but in the future will be automatic
what you mean by continuous or cyclic ?
i designing the equipment
about the longevity and maintenance it depends on the cost

eng_taha_a said:
what you mean by continuous or cyclic ?
I was thinking of a factory where sheet metal comes off a roll. Cutting wheels trim the width continuously, while a cutting bar cycles to cut it to the right length. But if you are cutting by hand, it can never be continuous.

If It will be automated later, then I assume that manual means a hand-held power tool.

anorlunda said:
I was thinking of a factory where sheet metal comes off a roll. Cutting wheels trim the width continuously, while a cutting bar cycles to cut it to the right length. But if you are cutting by hand, it can never be continuous.

If It will be automated later, then I assume that manual means a hand-held power tool.
you are right
first i will design a machine that cut the metal sheet to parts by hand , after i will get a roll of sheet metal and cut it to specific lengths automatically

I see that circular saw blades for cutting metal use carbide coated steel blades.

what you meant by continuous cutting ?
Can you tell me will it change it i change the cutting process ?

eng_taha_a said:
what you meant by continuous cutting ?

I meant something like trimming the edges of the sheet as it comes off the roll. One continuous cut from the beginning of the roll to the end.

It sounds like you have many more questions than just the material of the blade. Why don't you begin by describing what you are trying to do? Perhaps the engineers here can give you good advice.

Likes eng_taha_a
anorlunda said:
I meant something like trimming the edges of the sheet as it comes off the roll. One continuous cut from the beginning of the roll to the end.

It sounds like you have many more questions than just the material of the blade. Why don't you begin by describing what you are trying to do? Perhaps the engineers here can give you good advice.
thanks anorlunda
you are right i have many more question and i will describe it here to get the right answer but i just wait to order my questions
thanks again

Cutter material selection will depend on the base metal not on the zinc coating.
Mild steel, brass and copper are usually available galvanised.
Zinc metal may act as a lubricant between steel and shear cutter material.
Cutter choice will depend on expected duty and length of cut before sharpening is required.
Carbon steel is cheap, tool steel is more expensive while cobalt tool steel is needed for stainless steels.
Carbide inserts might be needed if it is mechanised or used on a production line.
The problem will be arranging the hinge topology so the parted metal will pass either side of the hinge and handles.

Likes Asymptotic and anorlunda

Related to What is the best material to use to cut galvanized sheet metal?

What is the best material to use to cut galvanized sheet metal?

The best material to use to cut galvanized sheet metal is a high-speed steel (HSS) blade. These blades are designed specifically for cutting through tough materials like galvanized sheet metal.

Can I use a regular saw blade to cut galvanized sheet metal?

No, it is not recommended to use a regular saw blade to cut galvanized sheet metal as they are not designed to cut through this type of material and may become dull quickly.

What type of saw should I use to cut galvanized sheet metal?

A circular saw or a reciprocating saw with a high-speed steel blade will work best for cutting galvanized sheet metal. These types of saws are designed to handle tough materials and provide clean cuts.

Do I need to wear protective gear when cutting galvanized sheet metal?

Yes, it is important to wear protective gear such as safety glasses, gloves, and a dust mask when cutting galvanized sheet metal. This will protect you from any flying metal shards and dust particles.

Is there a specific technique I should use when cutting galvanized sheet metal?

Yes, it is recommended to secure the sheet metal to a stable work surface before cutting. It is also important to use a slow and steady cutting motion to prevent the blade from getting stuck or breaking. Additionally, using a lubricant such as cutting oil can help make the cutting process smoother.