What is the Best Data Structures Book for Learning Computer Science?

In summary, The conversation is about a person looking for a good book on data structures. They found their first data structures book to be wordy and boring and are looking for a more concise and interesting replacement. They are recommended the O'Reilly 'Head First' series and the classic book "Introduction to Algorithms" for understanding data structures and algorithms. They also mention that computer science is not just about programming, but also about understanding efficiency and various algorithms and data structures. They are looking for a book that strikes a balance between being too "kewl" and too technical.
SpartanG345
Hello

I have used Data Abstraction and Problem solving in Java Walls and mirrors, for my 1st data structures course

I found i didn't use it that much at all, it pretty wordy and quite boring to read. Can anyone recommend me a good book for data structures?

Basically in the course we went through heaps of data structures and it got kind of boring...

I also did not really understand what computer 'science' is about in particular the science aspect. Is computer science simply about understanding efficiency and various algorithms and data structures? I still have the feeling computer science is about learning how to program.

does anyone know a really good data structure book, that is concise, interesting or at least not tedious that explains everything in the context of computer science

Physics news on Phys.org
They don't actually have a data structures book though.

why would you say it is annoying to anyone over 17.

I guess it is aimed for young people.
So far i haven't actually 'read' my data structures book normally i just research the data structure on the internet Sometimes I find that quicker. And most of the time diagrams on the lecture notes were sufficient to explain how the data structure works.

I did well during for my data structures course at uni, i enjoyed implementing some of the data structures, but i get the feeling that Computer Science is not just about programming. I am mainly looking for a replacement book that is more concise so i can sell my other book

Perhaps I'm old and boring enough not to want my textbooks to be "like totally kewl and L33T", something between head first and Knuth would be ideal!

Generally data structures are taught along with the algorithms to manipulate them -
Introduction to Algorithms, C-L-R is pretty much the classic. There is also the algorithm design manual by Skiena

Horowitz and Sahni.

Related to What is the Best Data Structures Book for Learning Computer Science?

What is a good data structures book?

A good data structures book is a book that teaches the fundamental concepts and techniques used in organizing and managing data in computer science. It should cover topics such as arrays, linked lists, stacks, queues, trees, graphs, and sorting algorithms.

What makes a data structures book effective?

A data structures book is considered effective if it presents the material in a clear and concise manner, provides real-world examples and applications, and includes exercises and practice problems to reinforce learning. It should also have a logical progression of topics and use a variety of teaching methods to cater to different learning styles.

What are the key elements of a good data structures book?

A good data structures book should have a strong emphasis on problem-solving and algorithmic thinking, a comprehensive coverage of different data structures and their applications, and a focus on the efficiency and complexity analysis of data structures and algorithms.

How do I choose the right data structures book?

When choosing a data structures book, consider your level of experience and knowledge in computer science, the style and approach of the book, and the topics covered. Look for recommendations from other students or professionals, and don't be afraid to try out different books to find the one that best suits your learning style.

Is it necessary to have a deep understanding of data structures?

Yes, a deep understanding of data structures is essential for any computer scientist or software engineer. Data structures are the building blocks of efficient and scalable algorithms and are used in almost every aspect of computer science. A good data structures book can help you develop this understanding and improve your problem-solving skills.