What is the basis for the theory that WIMPs could be detected by

In summary: It's short and to the point. In summary, scientists think that WIMPs could be detected by seeing a vibration in the atomic nucleus of normal matter. If they are detected, it is only by chance.
sahmgeek
What is the basis for the theory that WIMPs could be detected by seeing a vibration in the atomic nucleus of normal matter? If they (all) really do interact so weakly, why do scientist think they might be able to detect just a few??

an explanation in layman's terms would be great. thanks?

Space news on Phys.org

In simplest terms, as WIMPS pass through matter, they may collide with something. The event is very rare, since matter is mostly empty space.

WIMPs are Weakly Interacting Massive Particles, not Non Interacting Massive Particles. Although the interaction is weak, it is not zero, so occasionally they collide with an atomic nucleus.

blah! the more i try to read about wimps and weak force (which i don't really understand), the more i get confused. so wimps could also be referred to as iimps (infrequently interacting massive particles)? and since they "may collide" does that mean if it happens, it is only by chance (rather than a purposeful interaction)? if so,then how is it at all an "interacting" particle? hence, my original question. also, i do understand that they are a hypothetical particle, but I'm not finding that fact useful at this point.

clearly i am way in over my head; i don't have any formal training in physics. it's just a frivolous hobby and I'm struggling to wrap my head around this one.

i also do not have a clear understanding of a WIMPs function.

sahmgeek said:
and since they "may collide" does that mean if it happens, it is only by chance (rather than a purposeful interaction)?

Yes. All interactions at the level of elementary particles are 'only by chance'. Our fundamental theory of particle interactions, known as quantum mechanics, can only predict the probability of an interaction, and most physicists believe that this is all we will ever be able to predict. Try looking up 'Rutherford Scattering' (when Wikipedia comes back on line). Rutherford shot alpha particles at a gold foil and found that some of the particles went straight through the foil, and others were scattered at various angles.

Think about a civil war battlefield with tens of thousand of soldiers on both sides all shooting at each other. On RARE occasions, two bullets would actually hit each other and there have even been a couple of documented cases (I am sure I recall) of bullets fused to each other and found later (MUCH later) on the battlefield. It's a crude analogy but reasonable.

I like your "IMPS" designation.

Related to What is the basis for the theory that WIMPs could be detected by

What is the basis for the theory that WIMPs could be detected by?

The theory is based on the idea that WIMPs (Weakly Interacting Massive Particles) could be a potential candidate for dark matter, which is a type of matter that makes up a large portion of the universe but cannot be directly observed. WIMPs are thought to interact with regular matter through weak nuclear forces, making them difficult to detect.

How do scientists plan to detect WIMPs?

Scientists are using a variety of methods to detect WIMPs, including underground detectors, particle colliders, and space-based telescopes. These methods rely on detecting the energy or particles produced when a WIMP interacts with regular matter.

Why are WIMPs a popular theory for dark matter?

WIMPs are a popular theory for dark matter because they fit well with our current understanding of the universe and its behavior. They also provide a possible explanation for why the universe's expansion is accelerating, which is a major mystery in astrophysics.

What challenges do scientists face in detecting WIMPs?

One of the main challenges in detecting WIMPs is that they are thought to have very weak interactions with regular matter, making them extremely difficult to detect. Additionally, there are many other sources of background noise that can make it difficult to distinguish a WIMP signal from other sources.

What advancements have been made in WIMP detection technology?

There have been many advancements in WIMP detection technology in recent years, including the development of more sensitive detectors, improved data analysis techniques, and new experimental methods. These advancements have brought us closer to potentially detecting WIMPs and better understanding the nature of dark matter.