What is the Basis for the Null Space in Matrix A?

In summary: The basis for the null space of A is the three vectors shown. They form the basis because they are the only vectors that divide the space into six equal parts. excellent!
Lord Anoobis
Hello there. I'm currently trying to come to terms with the aforementioned topics. As I am self studying, a full understanding of these concepts escapes me. There's something I'm not grasping here and I would like to discuss these to clear away the clouds.

As I understand it, a basis for some vector space ##R^n## can be taken to be any set of ##n## linearly independent vectors, in other words an alternate set of axes as opposed to the usual ##(1,0,...,n),(0,1,0,...,n)## , etc. Correct?

So, in a sense it can be thought of as analogous to a Galilean transformation for relative motion?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Heading to work, will continue later or tomorrow.

Your notion of basis is correct.

Galilean transformation?

mathman said:
Your notion of basis is correct.

Galilean transformation?
Yes, the transformation between the coordinates of two different frames of reference. Something that shows up in Newtonian mechanics.

What I'm not too clear on is basis when it comes to matrices. Take the following 3 x 2 matrix as an example.
##A = \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 3 \\ 1 & 1 \\ 3 & 1 \end{bmatrix}##
Keeping in mind what was stated before, am I correct that:
a) A basis for ##A## is a set of 3 x 2 matrices which are not row equivalent
b) A basis for the row space of ##A## is a set 2 of linearly independent row vectors which is ##{[1, 1], [0, 1]}##
c) A basis for the column space of ##A## is the two column vectors since neither is a scalar multiple of the other?

Concerning point (c), does this mean that the column space of ##A## is a plane through the origin since it must be a subspace of ##R^3##?

Lord Anoobis said:
What I'm not too clear on is basis when it comes to matrices. Take the following 3 x 2 matrix as an example.
##A = \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 3 \\ 1 & 1 \\ 3 & 1 \end{bmatrix}##
Keeping in mind what was stated before, am I correct that:
a) A basis for ##A## is a set of 3 x 2 matrices which are not row equivalent
A better way to say it is a set of 3 x 2 matrices that are linearly independent.
Lord Anoobis said:
b) A basis for the row space of ##A## is a set 2 of linearly independent row vectors which is ##{[1, 1], [0, 1]}##
It doesn't have to be those two vectors. Any two linearly independent vectors in ##\mathbb{R}^2## will do.
Lord Anoobis said:
c) A basis for the column space of ##A## is the two column vectors since neither is a scalar multiple of the other?
Those two vectors (the column vectors in the matrix above) are linearly independent, and so would work as a basis for the column space of that matrix. It wouldn't have to be those two, though. Any two vectors that lie in the same plane, and that are linearly independent (point in different directions in this case) would also form a basis for the column space.
Lord Anoobis said:
Concerning point (c), does this mean that the column space of ##A## is a plane through the origin since it must be a subspace of ##R^3##?
Yes. The column space is a two-dimensional subspace of ##\mathbb{R}^3##.

Excellent, that clears up that misunderstanding.

##A = \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 3 & -2 & 0 & 2 & 0 \\ 2 & 6 & -5 & -2 & 4 & -3 \\ 0 & 0 & 5 & 10 & 0 & 15 \\ 2& 6 & 0 & 8 & 4 & 18 \end{bmatrix}##

The matrix A above is example 4 from Anton & Rorres in the chapter on row, column and null spaces. the solution shows the three vectors

##v_1 = \begin{bmatrix} -3\\1\\0\\0\\0\\0 \end{bmatrix}, v_2 = \begin{bmatrix} -4\\0\\-2\\1\\0\\0 \end{bmatrix}, v_3 = \begin{bmatrix} -2\\0\\0\\0\\1\\0 \end{bmatrix}##

forming the basis of the null space of A. What I Don't understand here is how do three vectors form the basis of a space in ##R^6##. How do three vectors end up spanning the subspace?

Related to What is the Basis for the Null Space in Matrix A?

What is basis, row space, and column space?

Basis, row space, and column space are concepts in linear algebra that refer to different aspects of a matrix. The basis of a matrix is a set of linearly independent vectors that can be used to span the entire vector space. The row space is the set of all possible linear combinations of the rows of a matrix, while the column space is the set of all possible linear combinations of the columns of a matrix.

How do you find the basis of a matrix?

To find the basis of a matrix, you need to identify a set of linearly independent vectors that can span the entire vector space. This can be done by reducing the matrix to its reduced row echelon form using Gaussian elimination. The pivot columns in the reduced matrix will correspond to the basis vectors.

What is the relationship between row space and column space?

The row space and column space of a matrix are related by the fundamental theorem of linear algebra, which states that the dimension of the row space is equal to the dimension of the column space. This means that the number of linearly independent rows in a matrix is equal to the number of linearly independent columns.

Why is it important to understand basis, row space, and column space?

Understanding basis, row space, and column space is important because it allows us to analyze and manipulate matrices in a more efficient way. It also helps us to understand the relationship between different vectors and how they can be used to represent a larger vector space. These concepts are foundational to many areas of mathematics and are used in various applications such as data analysis, computer graphics, and machine learning.

How do basis, row space, and column space relate to linear independence?

Basis, row space, and column space are all related to linear independence. A set of vectors is linearly independent if none of the vectors in the set can be written as a linear combination of the others. The basis of a matrix consists of linearly independent vectors, and the dimension of the row and column space is determined by the number of linearly independent rows and columns, respectively.