What is the basis for $F$ in linear algebra?

In summary, Linear Algebra Challenge is a set of problems or exercises that tests and improves one's understanding and skills in linear algebra. It is important as it develops critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and serves as a foundation for advanced mathematics courses. Anyone who wants to deepen their understanding of linear algebra can benefit from it, including students and professionals. To prepare for the challenge, it is recommended to review fundamental concepts and techniques, and practice problems. There are also various resources available, such as textbooks, online courses, and study groups.
Dethrone
Let $F$ be the set of infinite sequences $(a_1,a_2,a_3...)$, where $a_i \in \Bbb{R}$ that satisfy
$a_{i+3}=a_i+a_{i+1}+a_{i+2}$
This describes a finite-dimensional vector space. Determine a basis for $F$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It is easy to see that any sequence $(a_i)$ is uniquely determined by its first three elements, so this vector space has dimension 3. A suitable basis is the set of the three sequences $x, y, z$ defined by:
$$x = (1, 0, 0, 1, 1, 2, 4, \cdots)$$
$$y = (0, 1, 0, 1, 2, 3, 6, \cdots)$$
$$z = (0, 0, 1, 1, 2, 4, 7, \cdots)$$
i.e. $x$, $y$ and $z$ are the sequences defined by the first three elements $(1, 0, 0)$, $(0, 1, 0)$ and $(0, 0, 1)$ respectively. It's easy to see that the basis $\{ x, y, z \}$ is linearly independent, for suppose there exists $\lambda_1, \lambda_2, \lambda_3 \in \mathbb{R}$ such that:
$$\lambda_1 x + \lambda_2 y + \lambda_3 z = 0$$
Where $0$ is of course the zero sequence. But that would imply:
$$\lambda_1 (1, 0, 0, \cdots) + \lambda_2 (0, 1, 0, \cdots) + \lambda_3 (0, 0, 1, \cdots) = (0, 0, 0, \cdots)$$
That is:
$$(\lambda_1, 0, 0, \cdots) + (0, \lambda_2, 0, \cdots) + (0, 0, \lambda_3, \cdots) = (0, 0, 0, \cdots)$$
In other words, $\lambda_1 = \lambda_2 = \lambda_3 = 0$ and so this set is linearly independent. Finally, it's easy to see that this set spans the entire vector space, since every sequence $(a_i)$ with first three elements $a_1, a_2, a_3$ can be written as:
$$a_1 x + a_2 y + a_3 z$$
Which is in the vector space and has its first three elements equal to $a_1, a_2, a_3$ and so must be equal to $(a_i)$. Therefore $\{ x, y, z \}$ is a basis of this vector space.

Last edited:
I hope you'll forgive me that I'm using isomorphisms of vector spaces. (Blush)

Let $f$ be the function $F \to \mathbb R^3$ given by $(a_1,a_2,a_3, ...) \mapsto (a_1,a_2,a_3)$.
Since all elements following $a_3$ are uniquely determined by $a_1,a_2,a_3$, $f$ is a bijection.
Moreover, since $F$ is a vector space, it follows that for all $x,y \in F, \lambda \in \mathbb R$ we have: $f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y)$ and $f(\lambda x) = \lambda f(x)$.
Thus $f$ is an isomorphism of vector spaces.

Since {(1,0,0), (0,1,0), (0,0,1)} is a basis for $\mathbb R^3$, it follows that {(1,0,0,...), (0,1,0,...), (0,0,1,...)} is a basis for $F$. (Nerd)

Related to What is the basis for $F$ in linear algebra?

What is Linear Algebra Challenge?

Linear Algebra Challenge is a set of problems or exercises designed to test and improve one's understanding and skills in linear algebra. It covers various topics such as matrices, vectors, systems of linear equations, and vector spaces.

Why is Linear Algebra Challenge important?

Linear Algebra Challenge is important because it helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential in many fields such as mathematics, engineering, computer science, and economics. It also serves as a foundation for advanced mathematics courses.

Who can benefit from Linear Algebra Challenge?

Anyone who wants to deepen their understanding of linear algebra can benefit from Linear Algebra Challenge. It is suitable for students studying mathematics or related fields, as well as professionals who use linear algebra in their work.

How can I prepare for Linear Algebra Challenge?

To prepare for Linear Algebra Challenge, it is recommended to review the fundamental concepts and techniques of linear algebra, such as matrix operations, vector operations, and solving systems of linear equations. Practice problems and exercises are also helpful in preparing for the challenge.

Are there any resources available for Linear Algebra Challenge?

Yes, there are many resources available for Linear Algebra Challenge, including textbooks, online courses, video tutorials, and practice problems. It is also beneficial to seek guidance from a tutor or join study groups to better prepare for the challenge.