What is the ball's horizontal displacement?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a tennis player serving a ball with a speed of 24 m/s and a height of 2.5 m, 12 m from the net. The top of the net is 0.90 m above the court surface and air resistance is negligible. The questions asked include the duration of the ball's flight, its horizontal displacement, velocity at impact, and distance cleared over the net. The conversation also mentions using kinematics equations to solve the problem, with a suggestion to revisit the question with these equations in mind.
F.B
Ahh I am already stuck on a question. I just need help getting started.

Anyways this is the question

A tennis player serves a ball horizontally, giving it a speed of 24 m/s from a height of 2.5 m. The player is 12 m from the net. The top of the net is 0.90 m above the court surface. The ball clears the net and lands on the other side. Air resistance is negligible.
a)For how long is the ball airborne?
b)What is the horizontal displacement?
c)What is the velocity at impact?
d)By what distance does the ball clear the net.

I have no idea how to start this. I don't even know what i have. Can you please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know any formulas for motion in 2 dimensions?

ya i kno all of them

Here are some basic kinematics equations you will need:

Vf = Vi + at
Xf = xi + ViT + 1/2aT^2
xf - xi = 1/2(vi + vf)T
Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2a(xf - xi)

Try to look at the problem again with those in mind and see where it takes you.

I can get the time like this but it doesn't help because i don't understand why it works.

2.5=0 - 1/2(9.8)t^2

By why does using 2.5 for height work because doesn't the ball hit the ground at the end.

Related to What is the ball's horizontal displacement?

1. What is horizontal displacement?

Horizontal displacement is the distance traveled by an object in the horizontal direction, measured from its starting point to its ending point.

2. How is horizontal displacement different from distance?

Horizontal displacement refers specifically to the distance traveled in the horizontal direction, while distance refers to the total length of the path traveled by an object.

3. What factors affect the ball's horizontal displacement?

The ball's horizontal displacement is affected by its initial velocity, the angle at which it is launched, and air resistance or other external forces acting on the ball.

4. How is horizontal displacement calculated?

The horizontal displacement of an object can be calculated using the equation d = v * t, where d is the displacement, v is the velocity, and t is the time.

5. Why is horizontal displacement important in physics?

Horizontal displacement is important in physics because it is a fundamental part of understanding the motion of objects in the horizontal plane. It helps us analyze and predict the behavior of objects in various scenarios, such as projectile motion.