What is the axis label for the fourth dimension?

In summary, the discussion focused on what the axis representing the fourth dimension would be called in a typical cartesian coordinate system, as well as the usage of function notation. While w is the usual convention, it is possible to label it differently. The fourth dimension is often represented by the letter t, although this is more common in physics than mathematics. It was also noted that Google may not always provide helpful answers without a specific question.
Jow
I have a quick question. On a typical cartesian coordinate system you have the x-axis and y-axis for two dimensions and the z-axis for the third. What would you label the axis representing the fourth dimension?

I know this is a bit of a silly and unimportant question, but I was thinking about function notation (ie: f(x), f(x,y) , f(x,y,z)) and I was wondering what would come next; f(x,y,z,?)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Jow said:
I have a quick question. On a typical cartesian coordinate system you have the x-axis and y-axis for two dimensions and the z-axis for the third. What would you label the axis representing the fourth dimension?

I know this is a bit of a silly and unimportant question, but I was thinking about function notation (ie: f(x), f(x,y) , f(x,y,z)) and I was wondering what would come next; f(x,y,z,?)
w is the usual convention, but you CAN call it whatever you want.

Fourth dimension is frequently time--denoted with letter t.

HassanEE said:
Fourth dimension is frequently time--denoted with letter t.

Physics frequently deals with time-like dimensions, but this isn't particularly common or useful in mathematics, and "time" as a dimension behaves differently than what the OP is asking about. When dealing with, say, Euclidean 4-space, Mandelbroth is right that w is the usual convention, but it's fairly common to just use, say, an indexed family of x's (i.e. x1 ... x4).

Thanks for the answer. It was bugging me because google was not being helpful.

Google is seldom helpful if you cannot pose a specific question- GIGO.

Related to What is the axis label for the fourth dimension?

1. What is the fourth dimension?

The fourth dimension is a theoretical concept that refers to a dimension beyond the three dimensions of length, width, and height. It is often represented as time in physics, but it can also refer to other dimensions in mathematics or philosophy.

2. What is the axis label for the fourth dimension in physics?

In physics, the axis label for the fourth dimension is typically represented as time, denoted by the letter "t". This is because time is considered the fourth dimension in the space-time continuum.

3. Can the fourth dimension be visualized?

The fourth dimension cannot be visualized in the same way as the three dimensions of space. It is a mathematical concept that extends beyond our perception and is often represented through mathematical equations or visualizations.

4. What is the significance of the fourth dimension in physics?

In physics, the fourth dimension (time) is crucial in understanding the behavior of objects in the universe. It is a fundamental dimension that is used to measure and describe the motion and interactions of particles in space-time.

5. Are there more than four dimensions?

There are theories in physics, such as string theory, that suggest the existence of more than four dimensions. However, these dimensions are not observable or measurable in our current understanding of the universe.